Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brent Hughes <ba...@po.cwru.edu> on 2001/09/06 13:32:33 UTC

I admit it -- I'm too lazy to read the documentation

I have the thing running...
It only works on localhost:8080 though...
I need to get rid of this 8080 thing.
If you guys could point me to the right
section of the docs it would be a big help.

Thanks,
Brent

Re: I admit it -- I'm too lazy to read the documentation

Posted by Tim O'Neil <to...@xythos.com>.
Or hire a consultant at $100 an hour to do it for you.

Posted by Brent Hughes <ba...@po.cwru.edu>.
I was just kidding I'm not really that lazy. I just thought someone would
respond faster if I said that.

I actually already tried to change the one in server.xml to port 80 before I
sent the email. That was probably pretty stupid but I thought it might work
anyway. A full text search of the conf directory only revealed two instances
of 8080, and I tried changing them both to 80, but the thing stopped
working. ***Is what I'm trying to do even possible, or is Tomcat just
designed to require a numerical extension to the URL?*** If it is, that's
okay. I just thought it would be cooler if my URL remained constant.

Did it stop working because of a port conflict on 80?

I actually read most of the docs, and I text searched the doc directory for
8080. Most of the results were just hyperlink examples.

Thanks,
Brent

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Posted by Thomas Cherry <ce...@io.com>.

Posted by Charles Webber <ch...@earthlink.net>.
Depends what you're trying to do.  If you just want Tomcat to work as
web/servlet/jsp server, then you can change the port in server.xml in your
conf directory and restart Tomcat.  Tomcat is capable of serving static html
as well as servlets and jsps.
However, most people want this to work with a REAL web server, like Apache.
In that case, you SHOULD read the documentation.  There's a wealth of
information in the docs.