Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/09/19 15:02:58 UTC

Can we clean up for a Phoenix Alpha release?

The reason I am asking is to help the Phoenix project.  We
already have alot of infrastructure in place.  I would like
to have us tie up any loose ends, and release Phoenix 4.0a1
to the public.  Shortly after that, we would need to clean
up Cornerstone, and release that as Cornerstone 4.0a1 to the
public as well.

This will help us in the long run (really).  We need to release
early/release often esp. with our alpha products.

Re: Can we clean up for a Phoenix Alpha release?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:03, Peter Donald wrote:
> * Move ThreadPooling out of kernel and into Application as a ThreadManager
> block. The old style will issue deprecation warnings but still should work.
> Make all current cornerstone blocks work using service rather than via
> old-style

done.

> * Do more error checking on recently committed ThreadContext code in
> excalibur

done.

> (unit tests would be good too).

not done.

> If someone else was willing to do things like
> * Make sure all documentation is correct and update docs where appropriate
> (like including the new <logs> format that you can enable by setting <logs
> version="1.1">)

partially done.

I updated to reflect deprecation of <threads/> section in server.xml - could
someone else update about <logs version="1.1"/> section because I haven't
actually used that yet ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Can we clean up for a Phoenix Alpha release?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:02, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> The reason I am asking is to help the Phoenix project.  We
> already have alot of infrastructure in place.  I would like
> to have us tie up any loose ends, and release Phoenix 4.0a1
> to the public.  Shortly after that, we would need to clean
> up Cornerstone, and release that as Cornerstone 4.0a1 to the
> public as well.

Okay sounds good. I want to do the following before release and can probably
finish it by Sunday

* Move ThreadPooling out of kernel and into Application as a ThreadManager
block. The old style will issue deprecation warnings but still should work.
Make all current cornerstone blocks work using service rather than via
old-style
* Do more error checking on recently committed ThreadContext code in
excalibur (unit tests would be good too).

If someone else was willing to do things like
* Make sure all documentation is correct and update docs where appropriate
(like including the new <logs> format that you can enable by setting <logs
version="1.1">)

Another really really really good idea would be to look at
jakarta-tomcat-4.0/services/** code and make a simple launcher for phoenix.
The services code basically turns Phoenix into a native service on whatever
platform you are on. Unfortunately my dev platform is not compatible with
this code (due to me twiddling too much with my library structure and
breaking Suns JVM). Another Win32 solution is
http://www.alexandriasc.com/software/JavaService/index.html but I can't
compile that either as I use unix ;)

Anyways - having that plus a nice shutdown.sh script would be good ;)

> This will help us in the long run (really).  We need to release
> early/release often esp. with our alpha products.

agreed. I just don't have the cycles atm. Though I think I may have finally
figured out all the things I need to change to get Phoenix working as I want
- I have been looking at HPs CSF and OSGIs (?) framework over last week or
so. Theres some damn fine ideas in both of them that I intend to "borrow" ;)

Whats really funny is that CSF is sooo similar to Framework + Excalibur +
Phoenix I thought I was looking at our own code. It uses the same code
conventions and has code that is near identical to our own with slight
variations. Ie we use CascadingException they use WrapperException, we use
start() they use startService(), we chuck meta-info in different package
while they merge it into main one etc. Theres a few things they have that we
don't and vice versa but it is good to see the ideas we have been exploring
are so similar ;)

CSF definetly has some good ideas ... In ways they are more generic and
lightweight because they allow CSF to be embedded in other things easily and
may form basis of other apps and they also allow hierarchial "partitions" (ie
Applications) which would be fantastic for certain realms (ie jesktop).
Hopefully we can incorporate some of their ideas. There are also some icky
bits in CSF but we can ignore those bits ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Can we clean up for a Phoenix Alpha release?

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> The reason I am asking is to help the Phoenix project.  We
> already have alot of infrastructure in place.  I would like
> to have us tie up any loose ends, and release Phoenix 4.0a1
> to the public.  Shortly after that, we would need to clean
> up Cornerstone, and release that as Cornerstone 4.0a1 to the
> public as well.
>
> This will help us in the long run (really).  We need to release
> early/release often esp. with our alpha products.

I'm totally +1 for it.

Giacomo