Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Murad Jura <mu...@asbt.uz> on 2003/02/04 12:37:38 UTC

XML data linking method

Hello all!

We are developing one staff management system using Cocoon 2.1 and the
native XML database (Xindice 1.0). There are many relationships between
our XML data resources, such as between an employee and a department.
Has anybody advise me what method we should choose to implement this
kind of linking?
First we have tried to implement the relational database model by
providing notorious id attributes everywhere, but there is one big lack.
When we use this model all our relationships are scattered between a lot
of stylesheets.
Unfortunately, Xindice hasn't any kind of linking tools, such as
primary/foreign key feature in RDBMS. I have seen the XLink
specification, but I don't know how to use it.

Thanks and sorry for my English!
Regards,
Murad Jura.

Re: XML data linking method

Posted by Jonathan Patrick Freeman <jo...@jonathanpatrick.com>.
Murad,

Your English is fine. I'm in the same boat as you, I've been thinking on
these URI lines and linkage of late.

Let me say I'm starting to believe in REST in a very big way, coined by Roy
Fielding. He makes some very interesting ideas around the URI. You can get a
quick understanding at http://www.xfront.com/REST.html.

I'm starting to believe that a XML data resource should know the source and
destination it wants to link. That argument makes sense to me. Your data
should become aware of other data and not your stylesheet. Use a template
match in your stylesheet to recognize a link when it is requested and then
produce a regular html link (if you want html as your output). I'm starting
to believe in this whole semantic web idea and am seriously looking at using
XLink in my XML resources for not only linkage but for other URI (jpgs,
gifs). Tim Berners-Lee is against the idea of using XLink for every URI
resource, but I think I'm not a strong URI purist :
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/XLink.html

I haven't made any updates to my source yet myself (still learning XLink).

And then there is Control Flow, I played around with it and think it is very
promising. This seems to break the idea of self aware XML resources, because
you now have a controller for URI traffic cop.

I would love to hear from others on this and best URI practices. Where and
what are the best URI and linkage patterns for an XML publishing system?

Cheers,
-Jonathan