Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by subbu_tce <su...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/22 05:42:39 UTC

Bean Validation and Wicket

Are there any plans in the future to make use of the Bean Validation
Framework (JSR 303) in Wicket?

Though we dont have any concrete implementations for JSR 303 yet and JSF 2.0
will be using JSR 303, how well is Wicket positioned to use bean validation?

Thanks,
Subbu.

AW: AW: Bean Validation and Wicket

Posted by Christian Helmbold <ch...@yahoo.de>.
> There seems to be no activity in this issue. I think it would be worse to spend

> some work for JSR 303 support

Uups, I mean "worth" :-)

AW: Bean Validation and Wicket

Posted by Christian Helmbold <ch...@yahoo.de>.
Support for JSR 303 Bean Validation in Wicket was discussed three years ago.. http://www.nabble.com/JSR-303:-Bean-Validation---Anyone-following-this--td5288109.html
See comment from Eelco here: http://raibledesigns.com/rd/entry/validation_framework_consolidation#comments

There seems to be no activity in this issue. I think it would be worse to spend some work for JSR 303 support in Wicket because Bean Validation will likely become a wide accepted stanard. More and more frameworks plan to support Bean Validation. JPA 2.0 is a prominent example.

In my opinion validation is something that does not belong to presentation layer but to the domain layer. I find it very inelegant to declare validation for one property multiple times in different forms. A possible solution would be to declare the field once and use it in several forms, but it would be easier to declare constraints directly in the domain class and don't have to think of it when creating a form..

In my green vision you need only a custom wicket validator as a wrapper around a JSR 303 implementation like http://www.hibernate.org/412.html or http://code.google.com/p/agimatec-validation/ . Does anyone know if the integration of bean validation would be so easy? Are there any expected troubles?

Regards
Christian