Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> on 2018/07/13 20:15:45 UTC

[DISCUSS] Expanded "work items" for HBase-in-the-Cloud doc

Hi all,

A long time ago, I shared a document about a (I'll call it..) "vision"
where we make some steps towards decoupling HBase from HDFS in an effort
to make deploying HBase on Cloud IaaS providers a bit easier
(operational simplicity, effective use of common IaaS paradigms, etc).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Su5py_T5Ytfh9RoTTX2s20KbSJwBHVxbO7ge5ORqbCk/edit?usp=sharing

A good ask from our Stack back then was: "[can you break down this
work]?" The original document was very high-level, and asking for some
more details make a lot of sense. Months later, I'd like to share that
I've updated the original document with some new content at the bottom
(as well as addressed some comments which went unanswered by me -- sorry!)

Based on a discussion I had earlier this week (and some discussions
during HBaseCon in California in June), I've tried to add a brief
"refresher" on what some of the big goals for this effort are. Please
check it out at your leisure and let me know what you think. Would like
to start getting some fingers behind this all and pump out some code :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Su5py_T5Ytfh9RoTTX2s20KbSJwBHVxbO7ge5ORqbCk/edit#bookmark=id.fml9ynrqagk

- Josh