Posted to dev@zipkin.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/25 01:51:54 UTC

on untangling inter-repo dependencies

Hi, team.

You may be aware that we are migrating 4 repos which have some
interdependence. I wanted to bring forward this concern so that it can
be squashed :)

While there are inter-dependencies, there's no reason why our first
release should (or even can) resolve all dependencies to
org.apache.zipkin.X namespaces. By releasing each repo as they are
available, not as a DAG, we can move through process smoother. and in
parallel. Later, we can resolve the dependencies to apache namespaces.

ex. zipkin, zipkin-api, zipkin-layout and zipkin-reporter release with
whatever functionality exists and on their own schedules. The next
release of any of these will use whatever apache packaged dependencies
are available at the time. By the time we graduate, all dependencies
that are managed in apache repos will be used.

Make sense?
-A

Re: on untangling inter-repo dependencies

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adrian,

I think it a reasonable tradeoff at the moment. The only concern might have
been caused by licensing but is it all Apache License v2.0, so I think it is
fine.

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko