Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2006/10/26 19:15:23 UTC

[classlib][tools] Bundle manifest checker

FYI  I'm just playing at a new tool to check the manifests in the
classlib modules so we can detect breakages earlier.

Don't look too closely at it yet [1], it's work in progress, but has the
basics working so if you point it at an HDK (with a deliberate error in
math's manifest) you get:

 Checking bundles in HDK rooted at C:\Harmony\deploy
 WARNING: No manifest found in expanded bundle
C:\Harmony\deploy\jdk\jre\lib\boot\bcel-5.2
 WARNING: No manifest found in expanded bundle
C:\Harmony\deploy\jdk\jre\lib\boot\yoko-m1
 ERROR: There were resolution errors

 The following root cause was identified
 Could not resolve following constraint in org.apache.harmony.math
 	Import-Package: foo.bar; version="0.0.0"

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/harmony/enhanced/tools/trunk/manifest_checker/

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)

Re: [classlib][tools] Bundle manifest checker

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Peter Kriens created a tool to generate/verify manifests. I am not sure
> if it will work for your situation, but you can check it out here:
>
>    http://www.aqute.biz/php/tools/bnd.php

Thanks for the link.  Peter's tool will check for malformed manifests,
but I want to also check that the set of bundles we produce in a Harmony
build will resolve to a coherent system.

The checker reads all the manifests in the Harmony bundles, and uses the
Equinox resolver to find unsatisfied Imports and Exports as well as
invalid syntax.

The typical problem we see is people forgetting to import a package when
they create a new dependency -- I'd like to make that a build break.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> Felix has a nice Maven 2 plugin for generating OSGi manifests -
> http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/osgi-plugin-for-maven-2.html.

We are looking at modifying Felix' maven plugin to use Peter's new bnd tool.

-> richard

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Tim,