Posted to dev@toree.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/07 04:11:18 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC4

Please vote to approve the release of Apache Toree 0.5.0-incubating (RC4).

The changes in this release are mainly to add support for Spark 3.0.0.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-toree/compare/v0.4.0-incubating-rc1...v0.5.0-incubating-rc4

Also, note that for this release, due to changes on the Incubator release
policy, we are
producing two pip packages, one as apache-toree and another as toree for
backward
compatibility purposes.

Tag: v0.5.0-incubating-rc4 (2fcff105844e3ff80b8dda3284182d862fbaa489)

https://github.com/apache/incubator-toree/tree/v0.5.0-incubating-rc4

All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found
at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/toree/0.5.0-incubating-rc4/

Staging artifacts can be found at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetoree-1019

## Testing Instructions

The fastest way to get up and running is to using Jupyter.

1. Install Jupyter if you haven't already (http://jupyter.org/install.html)

2. Install Apache Toree via `pip install
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/toree/0.5.0-incubating-rc4/toree-pip/toree-0.5.0.tar.gz`
followed by `jupyter toree install`

- You need to set a valid Apache Spark 3.x home, which can be done via
`jupyter toree install --spark_home=/usr/local/spark`

- You may need to run with `sudo` for installation permission

- For all installation options, run `jupyter toree install --help-all`

4. Run a Jupyter notebook server via `jupyter notebook`

- If the notebook portion of Jupyter is not installed but Jupyter is,
you can install via `pip install notebook`

5. Create a notebook using "Apache Toree - Scala" from the dropdown under
new
dev
6. Run Scala/Spark commands such as `sc.parallelize(1 to 100).sum()` in the
notebook

## Voting Instructions

The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Toree 0.5.0-incubating

Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC4

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Canceling this vote, as we have made an RC5

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC4

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
`make dist dev` works.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC4