Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Romain Gilles <ro...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/22 22:11:23 UTC

Tomcat on karaf

Hi all,
I would like to know if any of you have run or run a tomcat web container
as a Http Service and Web Application Service...
Do I have to install eclipse gemini web on karaf to test it? I have had a
look to pax web and the only spi provider is Jetty. Is there a reason that?
Tomcat is an Apache project and the current osgi integration is done by the
eclipse community and Jetty is now a eclipse project and is currently the
default web container of karaf (an apache project ...)?

Romain.

Re: Tomcat on karaf

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.
If the goal is to use OSGI + Tomcat, you're better off going with
VirgoRT, assuming you don't know anything about OSGi and a ton about
Tomcat. However, if the goal is to be able to deploy advanced
web-services, I'd simply deploy one of the many flavors of JAX into Karaf.

On 5/22/2012 7:27 PM, David Jencks [via Karaf] wrote:
> the tomcat project itself doesn't AFAIK publish its artifacts as
> bundles.  Geronimo repackages several versions of tomcat as bundles
> (org.apache.geronimo.ext.tomcat....) and we use them in geronimo.  So
> you might be able to get tomcat running fairly easily using these
> bundles, but that doesn't address http service or wab support.   The
> wab support in geronimo is far too tied to old geronimo internals to
> be very useful standalone.
>
> david jencks
>
> On May 22, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Romain Gilles wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I would like to know if any of you have run or run a tomcat web
> container as a Http Service and Web Application Service...
> > Do I have to install eclipse gemini web on karaf to test it? I have
> had a look to pax web and the only spi provider is Jetty. Is there a
> reason that? Tomcat is an Apache project and the current osgi
> integration is done by the eclipse community and Jetty is now a
> eclipse project and is currently the default web container of karaf
> (an apache project ...)?
> >
> > Romain.

> NAML
> <http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

-----
Mike Van  (All links open in new tabs)
Committer - Kalumet

Atraxia Technologies

Mike Van's Open Source Technologies Blog

Re: Tomcat on karaf

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Tomcat on karaf

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi all,

as the lead maintainer of pax web, I like to get into this discussion.
Right now Pax Web only supports jetty as the underlying Servlet container,
cause as Guillaume already stated the WAB part is already enough to maintain.

Never the less I made up a little road-map in the pax web jira at [1].
As you can see for a 3.0 version of pax web I'd like to add Tomcat as an
alternate underlying Server. As usual I'm thankful for any help around this :)

regards, Achim

[1] - http://team.ops4j.org/browse/PAXWEB

2012/5/23 Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>:
> Jetty has a long history of being lightweight and easily embeddable,
> with a good and responsive community, that's why it was chosen to be
> used in pax-web, and pax-web was really the only available solution at
> some point hence we have chosen it for Karaf.
> I don't really see any major problems deploying gemini web in Karaf
> though I haven't actually tested it.
> The question is why do you want to use Tomcat instead of Jetty ? Jetty
> is very mature too, though a bit less known.
>
> Doing the WAB support in OSGi is quite a lot of work and we have
> people here maintaining pax-web, so I don't really see the point in
> recreating a new container on top of Tomcat.  The most important thing
> about Tomcat imho is that the container and management is well known,
> but if we'd start embedding it, you'd loose all of that anyway.
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Romain Gilles <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I would like to know if any of you have run or run a tomcat web container as
>> a Http Service and Web Application Service...
>> Do I have to install eclipse gemini web on karaf to test it? I have had a
>> look to pax web and the only spi provider is Jetty. Is there a reason that?
>> Tomcat is an Apache project and the current osgi integration is done by the
>> eclipse community and Jetty is now a eclipse project and is currently the
>> default web container of karaf (an apache project ...)?
>>
>> Romain.
>

> --
> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet