Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com> on 2011/06/16 14:41:28 UTC

JRebel configuration

Hi,

the coming time I'll be working on Rave issues at SURFnet. JRebel will save
me a lot of time but is not open source. The "Source Code" [1] page contains
a section about JRebel but doesn't explain how to use it. I've got a working
configuration by adding a profile in the rave-project pom:

        <profile>
          <id>jrebel</id>
          <activation>
            <property>
              <name>jrebel</name>
            </property>
          </activation>
          <properties>
            <javaagent>-javaagent:${env.REBEL_HOME}/jrebel.jar</javaagent>
          </properties>
          <build>
            <plugins>
              <plugin>
                <groupId>org.zeroturnaround</groupId>
                <artifactId>jrebel-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>${maven.plugin.jrebel.version}</version>
                <executions>
                  <execution>
                    <id>generate-rebel-xml</id>
                    <phase>process-resources</phase>
                    <goals>
                      <goal>generate</goal>
                    </goals>
                  </execution>
                </executions>
              </plugin>
            </plugins>
          </build>
        </profile>

Should I create a patch for this or is this something that should only be
mentioned in the documentation (because JRebel is not open source)?
IMO the cryptic and long "Source Code" page can better be split up into
multiple pages, one for building & running, one for deploying (for now only
Tomcat) and one for how to set up your IDE.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/rave/source.html

Jasha Joachimsthal

Europe - Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam - +31(0)20 522 4466
US - Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142 - +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)

www.onehippo.com

Re: JRebel configuration

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.
On 16 June 2011 14:50, Franklin, Matthew B. <mf...@mitre.org> wrote:

> On 6/16/11 8:41 AM, "Jasha Joachimsthal" <j....@onehippo.com>
> wrote:
>
> The "Source Code" [1] page
> >contains
> >a section about JRebel but doesn't explain how to use it.
>

> >Should I create a patch for this or is this something that should only be
> >mentioned in the documentation (because JRebel is not open source)?
>
> I think adding it to the documentation is the better approach.  Jrebel is
> free for the committers to use since they have an open source license, but
> downstream projects may not want to buy the software.

> >IMO the cryptic and long "Source Code" page can better be split up into
> >multiple pages, one for building & running, one for deploying (for now
> >only
> >Tomcat) and one for how to set up your IDE.
>
> +1 Feel free to submit a patch for the site :)

Will do :)

Jasha

Re: JRebel configuration

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.