Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> on 2002/01/24 11:25:16 UTC

[Fwd: [GUMP] Build Failure - Mutant]

Sam,

Just like to discuss this build issue with you in a bit more detail as
it may represent a slight issue with Gump.

Firstly I can build mutant without problems. If you check it out I am
sure you will too. There is nothing additional required from the
environment. The problem here, I think, stems from a combination of the
way I have chosen to structure the mutant source tree, how the build
process puts the jars together and how Gump treats classpaths

Let me explain my motivation for the current source structure. One of my
goals for mutant is to establish a clear classloader hierarchy. I want
to ensure that the same class visibility is available during compilation
as it is during runtime. Therefore the jars built in one target are used
in the compilation of the next target. If the run time classloader
hierarchy is, for example,

init
common
antcore
cli

then I build init.jar first, use it when compiling common.jar, which in
turn is used in compiling antcore.jar, and so on. Classes in antcore.jar
can see all classes in common.jar and init.jar but cannot see the
classes in cli.jar. This ensures the same visibility of classes at
runtime and compile time. Failure to do this can lead to a situation
where compilation is successful but NoClassDefFound errors are thrown at
runtime, which is not good.

The reason this occurs under Gump is that Gump is not trusting. It
ignores the classpath provided by the build file in favour of its own
classpath. Gump, however doesn't have the necessarys jars in its
classpath because they have only just been built in the earlier stages
of the build.

So in the following build, the classes in antcore cannot see the classes
built in common even though the build file provides these in a compile
classpath.

Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks
Conor