Posted to users@airavata.apache.org by Nadeem Anjum <na...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/06 00:59:11 UTC

Re: [GSoC 2014] Project based on XBaya

Hi everyone,

This is with reference to Heejon's issue [1] with Xbaya security issue with
the jre(51).

I was able to recreate this issue on Windows.

When the security level in java control panel is set to very high or high,
it gives the following error:
"Your security settings have blocked a *self-signed application* from
running "

When the security level is set to medium or the application is added to
exception site list, the application is allowed to run with a warning,
which displays the *publisher* as "*unknown*"

As per [2], there are two possible reasons for this:

1. *Jar file missing Permission Attribute*
2.* Self signed application* (Certificate not from trusted authority)

I modified the permissions in the main jar adding *permissions:
all-permissions *in the manifest.mf file, but the problem still persists.
According to [3], The Permissions attribute is used to verify that the
permissions level requested by the RIA when it runs matches the permissions
level that was set when the JAR file was created. *This attribute is
required in the manifest of the main JAR file for the RIA, secondary JAR
files and extensions are not required to have the Permissions attribute*.
If the attribute is not present in the main JAR file, then the RIA is
blocked

So it appears the problem is not due to missing permissions in third party
jars.

Rather the problem is apparently due to *self-signed signature*, as when
providing a self-signed signature (the free kind), the "Publisher" field
will always say "UNKNOWN" whether or not it is provided when creating the
signature, as per [4]

Please share your opinion on this issue.

[1]: http://markmail.org/thread/c6exit64mmhhpew7
[2]: https://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_blocked.xml
[3]:
http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/security/manifest.html
[4]: https://code.google.com/p/jzebra/issues/detail?id=155

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Heejoon, Nadeem,

Version 0.12-SNAPSHOT (the current trunk) will have XBaya broken. So for workflow usage please stick to version 0.11.

Also, Nipun is planning to write a GSoC proposal to improve the EC2 provider. That should be of interest to Heejoon and group. So if you have any suggestions for EC2 support in AIravata, please voice them now.

Cheers,
Suresh

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Heejoon, Nadeem,

Posted by Heejoon Chae <he...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Hi, Nadeem,

Posted by Nadeem Anjum <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Heejon,

Posted by Nadeem Anjum <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Heejon,

Posted by Heejoon Chae <he...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Hi, Nadeem,

Posted by Nadeem Anjum <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marlon,

Is it possible to prevent the jars from being self-signed in XBaya's JNLP?

Thanks,
Nadeem

Posted by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu>.

Posted by Heejoon Chae <he...@cs.indiana.edu>.