Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Mark Whalley <Ma...@actian.com> on 2015/10/04 10:49:29 UTC

Kafka Broker process: Connection refused

Hi Kafka List

This is my first posting to this list, and I am relatively new to Kafka so please accept my bear with me!

Ambari Stack HDP-2.2
Kafka 0.8.1.2.2.0.0
Zookeeper 3.4.6.2.2.0.0

I have been using Kafka on a small (4 node) VM cluster running CentOS 6.6 successfully for many months.

Following a recent cluster reboot, Kafka now refuses to work.

>From Ambari, all services start, then within seconds, Kafka Broker stops with a "Kafka Broker process: Connection refused"

/var/log/kafka/kafka.err reports: "Error: Could not find or load main class kafka.Kafka"

All other services appear to be working fine.

The Ambari's configuration reports that nothing has changed in the configuration since May (Kafka was working until just over a week ago).  This is a development cluster, so I cannot guarantee nothing outside Ambari / Kafka has changed.

I have done the usual Google searching, and followed many threads over the past few days, but have drawn a blank.

Any thoughts where I should start to look?

Regards
Mark

-----------------------------------
Mark Whalley
Principal Consultant
Actian | Services
Accelerating Big Data  2.0
O +44 01753 559 569
M +44 07764 290 733
www.actian.com<http://www.actian.com/>
Connect With Us:
[Twitter-icon]<http://twitter.com/actiancorp>[Linked-In-icon]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/actian-corporation>[You-Tube-icon]<http://www.youtube.com/actiancorporation>[http://davidwalsh.name/dw-content/googleplus-icon.png]<http://www.gplus.to/actiancorp>
[dmi_user_conference_emailsignature_2015]<http://bigdata.actian.com/TechUserGroup2015_Reg>

RE: Kafka Broker process: Connection refused

Posted by Mark Whalley <Ma...@actian.com>.
Hi Harsha

Many thanks for responding.

As suggested, I have attempted to start kafka manually (which appeared to work), seconds later, a check of its status, and it is not running:

[kafka@vortex01 ~]$ /usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker/bin/kafka start
Starting Kafka succeeded with PID=104483.
[kafka@vortex01 ~]$ /usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker/bin/kafka status
Kafka is not running.

With regards to files under kafka-broker/libs/kafka_*.jar:

[kafka@vortex01 ~]$ find / -name "kafka_*jar" 2>/dev/null
/usr/hdp/2.2.0.0-2041/ranger-hdfs-plugin/libs/kafka_2.10-0.8.1.2.2.0.0-2041.jar
/usr/hdp/2.2.0.0-2041/ranger-hdfs-plugin/libs/kafka_2.10-0.8.1.2.2.0.0-2041-javadoc.jar
/usr/hdp/2.2.0.0-2041/ranger-hdfs-plugin/libs/kafka_2.10-0.8.1.2.2.0.0-2041-sources.jar
/usr/hdp/2.2.0.0-2041/ranger-hdfs-plugin/libs/kafka_2.10-0.8.1.2.2.0.0-2041-test.jar
/usr/hdp/2.2.0.0-2041/ranger-hdfs-plugin/libs/kafka_2.10-0.8.1.2.2.0.0-2041-scaladoc.jar

I will also raise this under http://hortonworks.com/community/forums/forum/kafka/

Regards
Mark

Posted by Harsha <ka...@harsha.io>.
Mark,       Can you try running the /usr/hdp/current/kafka-
broker/bin/kafka start manually as user Kafka and also do you see jars
under kafka-broker/libs/kafka_*.jar . Can you try asking the question
here as well http://hortonworks.com/community/forums/forum/kafka/
Thanks, Harsha

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015, at 01:49 AM, Mark Whalley wrote:
> Hi Kafka List

> This is my first posting to this list, and I am relatively new to
> Kafka so please accept my bear with me!

> Ambari Stack HDP-2.2

> Kafka
.8.1.2.2.0.0

> Zookeeper 3.4.6.2.2.0.0

> I have been using Kafka on a small (4 node) VM cluster running CentOS
> 6.6 successfully for many months.
>

> Following a recent cluster reboot, Kafka now refuses to work.

> From Ambari, all services start, then within seconds, Kafka Broker
> stops with a “Kafka Broker process: Connection refused”

> /var/log/kafka/kafka.err reports: “Error: Could not find or load main
> class kafka.Kafka”

> All other services appear to be working fine.

> The Ambari’s configuration reports that nothing has changed in the
> configuration since May (Kafka was working until just over a week
> ago).  This is a development cluster, so I cannot guarantee
> nothing outside
 Ambari / Kafka has changed.

> I have done the usual Google searching, and followed many threads over
> the past few days, but have drawn a blank.

> Any thoughts where I should start to look?

> Regards

> Mark

> -----------------------------------

> Mark Whalley