Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/01 22:04:23 UTC

Using Vagrant/Grunt for the development environment

Apache Rave is a non-trivial application to get up and running on a new
machine. Carl and I are thinking things could be greatly simplified with
tools like Vagrant, Ansible and Grunt, so we'd like to hear the thoughts of
the Rave community on adding these tools.

Our thoughts now are placing all of the Java & Java-related dependencies to
the Vagrant box. This will allow anyone to get the Java environment by
simply running `vagrant up`, instead of figuring out all of the
dependencies on their local machine.

A PR that introduces Vagrant (with Ansible for provisioning) can be seen
over here:

https://github.com/apache/rave/pull/2

and on Jira at:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-1099

For development, we're thinking a typical Grunt workflow could be
incorporated to make things really nice. The Tomcat server could be booted
up with a Grunt command, files could be linted and built,
unit/integration/functional/whatever tests we want to add can be done
automatically, and to top it off it can all be performed as you work with
watch.

We're working on an initial Grunt PR now, and should have it ready soon. At
first it will just do simple things, and can be iterated upon later.

What do y'all think?

Re: Using Vagrant/Grunt for the development environment

Posted by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>.
Hm, interesting. I'll look onto it, too, Stanton!

Posted by Stanton Sievers <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stanton Sievers <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.

Posted by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>.
Hey Chris,

Posted by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.

Posted by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.

Posted by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.

Posted by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.

Posted by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > *We currently rely on Maven to accomplish these tasks for us.*
> >
> >  Ah, well, in that case it's possible that we won't need Grunt. If Maven
> > does all of that for us then we don't need to spend time solving an
> > already-solved problem.
> >

> My 2-cents...I'm all for using grunt. Maven is just plain slow for simple
> things (non java things). It's good for builds, but it's slow. I'd also
> like to see grunt used to do our less compiles at some point.

I am all for completely severing the UI from the java/server-side build
process.  I just didn't see the driver for it in the initial e-mail.

Posted by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.

Posted by Jmeas Apache <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.