Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Elad Kalif <el...@apache.org> on 2023/02/11 19:52:38 UTC

[Discussion] Set further policies for triaging issues

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since we talked about the issue triage process. Currently
our process involves a lot of manual work of pinging issue authors and I'm
looking to automate some of it.

Here are my suggestions:

1. add a new bot automation to detect core bug issues (kind:bug, area:code)
that are over 1 year old *without any activity*. The bot will add a comment
asking the user to check the issue against the latest Airflow version and
assign a "pending-response" label. If the user will not respond the issue
will be marked stale and will be closed by our current stale bot
automation. I suggest 1 year here because in 1 year we usually have 3
feature releases + many bug fixes which contain a lot of fixes. We don't
normally go back to check bugs on older versions unless reporting as
reproducible on the latest version. There can be 2 outcomes of this:

   - The author will comment and say it is reproducible in that case we
   will assign the updated affected_version label and the issue will be bumped
   up.
   - The author will not comment. In that case we can assume the problem is
   fixed/not relevant and the issue will be closed.

2. similar to (1) for providers with labels (kind:bug, area:provider) and
with a shortened time period of 6 months as providers release frequently.

3. similar to (1) for airflow-client-python
<https://github.com/apache/airflow-client-python/issues> and
airflow-client-go <https://github.com/apache/airflow-client-go> with no
labels and period of 6 months as well.

4. On another front, we sometimes miss the triage of new issues. My
suggestion is that any new issue opened will automatically have a
needs-triage label (this is practice several other projects use) That way
we can easily filter the list of issues that need first review. When
triaging the issue we will remove the label and assign proper ones (good
first issue, area, kind, etc..)

What do others think?

Elad

Re: [Discussion] Set further policies for triaging issues

Posted by Elad Kalif <el...@gmail.com>.
Cool.

So it seems like we have an agreement on the concept.
lets review the details/specific concerns in the PR
https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/29554

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Fine for me to start this way :)

Posted by Elad Kalif <el...@gmail.com>.

[...]