Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Martin Blom <ma...@blom.org> on 2022/05/18 09:04:28 UTC

About Ambari

Hi all. I'm new here.

So at work we provide a service that's been running flawlessly on top of HDP since at least 2014. The recent "events" (which we became aware of only late last year, when it was already too late) had us panicking a bit at first, since we realised we could no longer manage our cluster, but we've since then been able to track down repo mirrors so the immediate crisis is over (no thanks to Cloudera).

However, with HDP dead and CentOS 7 nearing EOL, it's clear that we need to move on. While we have evaluated both CDP, GCP Dataproc and even considered migrating from HBase to Bigtable, Bigtop seems like the only sensible way forward. We just want a small database/MQ backend cluster that keeps running forever to power our service.

Which brings us to Ambari. I really liked Ambari, for cluster management obviously but also so for monitoring, and it has worked great for us all those years. A lot of work has obviously been put into Ambari and it seems like such a waste to throw it all away.

What are this Bigtop's plans for Ambari, the upstream project being retired and all?

For us, we would like to bring us to the point were, in 2024 when CentOS 7 goes EOL, we can bring up a new cluster on Rocky 8 with HDFS, Yarn, HBase, Kafka and Zookeeper using Ambari to manage, monitor and keep it up and running like that until at least 2029 when RL8 retires. It doesn't seem *that* difficult given the HDP 3.1 vs Bigtop 3.0.1 BOMs for the components we need. We would also be willing to put some time into making that happening.

What are your thoughts on that? Is anybody here still interested in Ambari? Has anybody actually been using it to manage Bigtop components?

PS. Also cross-posting to user. Anybody else in my situation? What are you all using to monitor your clusters once deployed?

--
Martin Blom
martin@blom.org

Re: About Ambari

Posted by Martin Blom <ma...@blom.org>.
Did you make any progress with the HDP stack? Is it available somewhere?

My thoughts, before I read that Zhiguo Wu is planning a proper resurrection of the Ambari project, was to fork from branch-2.7 and use the HDP 3.1.4 stack as a starting point. And only then bring in commits from trunk that are useful.

--
Martin Blom
martin@blom.org

Re: About Ambari

Posted by "Battula, Brahma Reddy" <bb...@visa.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Blom, we'll you add slack channel.

Happy to know that you also same path.

On 03/06/22, 5:36 PM, "Martin Blom" <ma...@blom.org> wrote:

    Really happy to hear that there is still interest in Ambari from several parties! How can I help?

    --
    Martin Blom
    martin@blom.org

Re: About Ambari

Posted by Martin Blom <ma...@blom.org>.

Re: About Ambari

Posted by "Battula, Brahma Reddy" <bb...@visa.com.INVALID>.
Hi Yuqi,

Decoupling the stack management is great work!!.. Hope this will carry forward for Bigtop3.

Here challenging will be upgrading the existing the cluster I think.. Cluster Migration will be problematic As mpack overrides the version's.?

Re: About Ambari

Posted by Yuqi Gu <gu...@apache.org>.

Re: About Ambari

Posted by Michiel Verheul <ch...@gmail.com>.
Personally I'm struggling with the exactly the  same issue. There was
already some kind of discussion on this topic here, earlier:

https://lists.apache.org/thread/wj898zq8q348721xf460mttqlty4v3zw

Personally I have never ran a production cluster without CM before. Bigtop
3 with Ambari seemed ideal, but as there was no ambari-mpack for bigtop 3
yet, I put some energy in porting the HDP mpack to support bigtop.
But I can understand that maintaining such a component under the Bigtop
project is a no-go, because of Ambari's attic state, Python 2.7 and the
(un)maintainability of such an mpack, so I stopped working on that.

From what I also understand from the above thread, 李帅 is already working on

Re: About Ambari

Posted by "Battula, Brahma Reddy" <bb...@visa.com.INVALID>.

Re: About Ambari