Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by kh...@gmail.com, kh...@gmail.com on 2018/11/09 22:11:19 UTC

Nightly/Weekly tests for examples

Hi MXNet community,

Recently, I and a few other contributors focussed on fixing examples in our repository which were not working out of the box as expected.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/12800
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/11895

Some of the examples failed after API changes and remained uncaught until a user reported the issue. While the community is actively working on fixing it, it might re-occur after few days if we don’t have a proper mechanism to catch regressions.

So, I would like to propose to enable nightly/weekly tests for the examples similar to what we have for tutorials to catch any such regressions. The test could check only basic functionalities/working of the examples. It can run small examples completely whereas it can run long training examples for only few epochs.

Any thoughts from the community? Any other suggestions for fixing the same?

Regards,
Ankit Khedia

Re: Nightly/Weekly tests for examples

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.
Naveen - I agree with you there. Not every example should be moved to
tutorials... just the ones that would be great to have on the site and
to be tested regularly.
I think that having examples of specific APIs will be useful on the website too.

Ankit, there's a cost/benefit analysis for keeping both a command line
example and a notebook. That has maintenance overhead.
A couple of options to debate and apply on a case-by-case basis:
1) Only maintain one or the other.
2) If it's really important, maintain both, but update both codebases
with notes and directions for maintenance, so that if one is found
broken and is getting updated, contributors know that they should
update the other.

Since the CNN Viz example/tutorial is for visualization, I'd lean
towards #1 and keep only the notebook. Then delete the example, but
since it requires a python file from that examples folder as a
utility, move this to a tutorials_utils folder in /docs. That folder
should be organized appropriately and excluded in the docs build
config in conf.py. Look for "exclude_patterns".

My 3 cents... Cheers,
Aaron

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.