Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Rahul Reddy <ra...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/28 21:21:40 UTC

Sstableloader

Hello,

Does sstableloader works between datastax and Apache cassandra. I'm trying
to migrate dse 5.0.7 to Apache 3.11.1 ?

Re: Sstableloader

Posted by Jonathan Koppenhofer <jo...@koppedomain.com>.
Has anyone tried to do a DC switch as a means to migrate from Datastax to
OSS? This would be the safest route as the ability to revert back to
Datastax is easy. However, I'm curious how the dse_system keyspace would be
replicated to OSS using their custom Everywhere strategy. You may have to
change the to Network topology strategy before firing up OSS nodes. Also,
keep in mind if you restart any DSE nodes, it will revert that keyspace
back to EverywhereStrategy.

I also posted a means to migrate in place on this mailing list a few months
back (thanks for help from others on the mailing list), but it is a little
more involved and risky. Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll dig it
up.

Finally, DSE 5.0 is open source equivalent 3.0.x. recommend you go to OSS
3.0 then up to 3.11.

Re: Sstableloader

Posted by Nitan Kainth <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sstableloader

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

I can't answer this question about the sstableloader (even though I think
it should be ok). My understanding, even though I'm not really up to date
with latest Datastax work, is that DSE uses a modified but compatible
version of Cassandra, for everything that is not 'DSE feature'
specifically. Especially I expect SSTable format to be the same.
SSTable loader has always been slow and inefficient for me though I did not
use it much.

I think the way out DSE should be documented somewhere in Datastax docs, if
not I think you can ask Datastax directly (or maybe someone here can help
you).

My guess is that the safest way out, without any downtime is probably to
perform a datacenter 'switch':
- Identify the Apache Cassandra version used under the hood by DSE (5.0.7).
Let's say it's 3.11.1 (I don't know)
- Add a new Apache Cassandra datacenter to your DSE cluster using this
version (I would rather use 3.11.latest in this case though... 3.11.1 had
memory leaks and other wild issues).
- Move client to this new DC
- Shutdown the old DC.

I wrote a runbook to perform such an operation not that long ago, you can
find it here:
https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2019/02/26/data-center-switch.html

I don't know for sure that this is the best way to go out of DSE, but that
would be my guess and the first thing I would investigate (before
SSTableLoader, clearly).

Hope that helps, even though it does not directly answers the question
(that I'm unable to answer) about SSTable & SSTableLoader compatibility
with DSE clusters.

C*heers