Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com> on 2017/01/22 00:28:40 UTC

Hello

Hello,

I sent an email yesterday regarding swag for Meetups, etc to this list, thinking that it was an Apache list that was devoted specifically to that type of thing (i was just going off of a comment automatically sent to me from the last quarter's board report review).. I've noticed several Emails, and realized that I was wrong about this just being a place to ask for swag from.

So I just wanted to Introduce myself and say hello.  I'm the PMC chair of Apache Mahout.  The Mahout team is a die hard group of all volunteer committers, devoted to distributed shared nothing machine learning, centered currently around an abstract Engine neutral set of Distributed Linear Algebra primitives. We're working currently on a release with GPU and native multithreaded backed matrix operations, as well as to provide more caned algorithms.   We have no corporate backing, which makes it challenging at times to keep up; most of us work after our day-jobs.  This also makes us flexible and able to answer to no one but our own PMC when deciding the best direction for the project to go.

So I just wanted to Introduce myself, and give you an overview of our team.  The email that I sent yesterday came off more as an order for Apache swag..

So, Hello, and have a good weekend, all,

Andy

Re: Hello

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.
Hi Arijit,

Mahout seq2sparse is a really great tool- hard to beat in alot of ways.  Mahout does have a distributed SPCA algorithm.  Maybe we should move this discussion to the mahout dev list? We can get you more information there, and If you're interested in contributing that would be a great place to talk.

Look forward to talking to you...

Andy

________________________________
Posted by ARIJIT DAS <ar...@gmail.com>.
Andy,

Re: Hello

Re: Hello

Posted by ARIJIT DAS <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

Re: Hello

Posted by ARIJIT DAS <ar...@gmail.com>.
@Ted : Please note Swastika is an ancient symbol of Hindus in
India...Hitler used it no way implies that the symbol is improper...If you
go through our Vedas and other mythologies you will find it symbolizes the
knowledge and power...and still today danish air force also uses this
symbol.India has one of the richest culture and heritage in the world.Many
people has used manything of our culture and heritage in many ways for many
purpose some are good some are bad.Why will we give up something which
symbolizes actually good in our culture? World leaders should learn the
lesson from WW2 from Hiroshima Nagasaki from adverse effects of
colonization from exploitation of poor.Mere opposing a symbol will add any
value to mankind?

RE: Hello

Re: Hello

Posted by ARIJIT DAS <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hello

Posted by Faizul Kamarudin <fa...@gmail.com>.
👌

Re: Hello

Posted by ARIJIT DAS <ar...@gmail.com>.
sure...please add me to that list @andy

Re: Hello

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hello

Re: Hello

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hello

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.
Hi, Ted,

Thanks very much.  Yeah- I really wasn't sure what this list was when i got the email telling me to reach out regarding swag, I'm glad that I found it though.  seems like some good discussions going on here.

As far as what we need/want, I'm really not sure,  Anything would be great to be honest,  I've only done one talk personally at the Orange County Big Data Analytics Meetup; there were about 60 people there.

It does seem like a great place to Advertise Apache and of course Mahout.  I've Also been invited by the co-organizers of that meetup to do a talk at the Orange County Advanced Analytics Meetup, which i Am looking for the time to do after this upcoming release.

So really anything would be great,  Thanks alot for the offer.  Its really been Trevor Grant and Suneel Marthi that have been doing most of the talks. Recently Trevor did the DFW meetup which is pretty large from what I understand.

So yeah I'm not sure what is available, but a little swag goes a long way.

Thanks,

Andy

I would be happy to help with this directly.

What do you need/want?

Re: Hello

Posted by Ja Yong Goo <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hello