Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by JB...@s-s-t.com on 2005/05/18 16:57:04 UTC

Getting Screen Output while Processing?

Hi, gang,

A fellow sent me a private message this morning because government policy
won't let him post a message to a public group such as this one. So I'm
going to rephrase his question and then send your answer back to him.

How can I get my own messages on the screen as FOP processes a file? With
XSLT, I can use the message instruction. Is there a similar instruction
that I can use with FOP? Or some other way to get messages?

Thanks.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

RE: Getting Screen Output while Processing?

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Hi Jay,

> If I gather correctly, the fellow with the problem is looking for
> a way to customize the output of the [INFO] tags or
> (more precisely, I think) generate his own [INFO] tags.

Well, the [INFO] messages come from the default ConsoleLogger in Avalon's
logging framework that is used in FOP 0.20.5.

A formatting object with effects similar to xsl:message is definitely not
defined in the 1.0 Rec, but in theory, it seems possible to create a custom
FO extension that does no more than send a message to whatever Logger you're
using.
So that one would be able to go:

<fox:message level="info">Custom message text</fox:message>

But then, I'm wondering, *when* would you make this message appear? As soon
as it is encountered? Even if he placed such an element immediately after a
table, that would only assure that the message appears on the Logger at the
time the fo:table is fully read in. This would in no way mean that the table
is completely processed, which seems to be what he's after...

It might work if the extension results in a marker in the area tree for the
renderer to pick up, so that the messages would pop up only after a table
has been fully rendered.

If he doesn't mind the trouble, have him take a look at how bookmarks are
implemented as an extension (in 0.20.5). It should turn out to be a bit
simpler, because there is no need to bother with the really
renderer-specific code. All the renderer needs to do, is send a log message.

HTH!

Greetz,

Andreas

Re: Getting Screen Output while Processing?

Posted by JB...@s-s-t.com.
Hi, Luke,

If I gather correctly, the fellow with the problem is looking for a way to
customize the output of the [INFO] tags or (more precisely, I think)
generate his own [INFO] tags. He's processing a large number of tables,
which is going very slowly (tables being FOP's slow spot, after all) and
he wants to know how far through the generation process FOP has gotten. If
he had a way to spit out an [INFO] that told him how many tables had been
processed so far (and thus number the tables), he could tell how far along
the process is. He'd like to do that on the console (standard error, the
screen, the command line, or whatever other not-quite-right synonym people
use), so that he can see the progress as it goes.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

"Luke" <lu...@lukeshannon.com>
05/18/2005 11:51 AM
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

<fo...@xmlgraphics.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Getting Screen Output while Processing?

I'm not sure I totally understand, but if it is in the realm of Java I
have
found log4j to be very useful for outputting messages. It can be
configured
to output data for specific classes to the console, to files (html, xml,
txt) or to a DB.

Check out the articles section of the page below for further details:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/documentation.html

Luke Shannon
Web Design/Development
Java Programmer