Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Barney Barumba <ba...@iname.com> on 2005/12/15 00:02:38 UTC

[cache] What's the status of cache?

Hi,

Just wondering what the current status of the cache project is? I can see it is currently dormant and at version 0.01-dev, so is it in a reasonable state to use, or does it still require significant development? If people are not using this, then what would be a suggested alternative for a relatively lightweight cache (I've had a cursory glance at the JCS, but this seems a bit over the top for my needs)?

Cheers,

Re: [cache] What's the status of cache?

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/14/05, Barney Barumba <ba...@iname.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering what the current status of the cache project is? I can see it is currently dormant and at version 0.01-dev, so is it in a reasonable state to use, or does it still require significant development? If people are not using this, then what would be a suggested alternative for a relatively lightweight cache (I've had a cursory glance at the JCS, but this seems a bit over the top for my needs)?

<snip/>

As stated on top of the dormant components webpage [1], it is best to
assume that [cache] will not be released in the *near* future. Based
on a quick look it seems the last commit to [cache] of any
significance was 4 and 1/2 years ago.

If you're interested in trying it out, have the liberty to work with
unreleased code and have a few cycles to devote to it, please
download, build the sources and use it. If you do, please let this
list know whether it suited your needs. I'm no help as far as
suggesting lightweight alternatives is concerned.

-Rahul

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dormant/