Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com> on 2004/03/04 14:49:06 UTC

tomcat monitor plugin for JMeter

Some people already know this, but most don't. I am working on a monitor for Tomcat using JMeter. The first graph will be the status. I made a mockup in photoshop. The actual UI hasn't been coded yet. I'd like to hear people's thoughts and comments.

http://cvs.apache.org/~woolfel/server-monitors-status-mockup.jpg
Here is how I am calculating the load. It is a combination of memory and thread.

memory load = (used memory/ max memory) * load factor
the default load factor is 33

thread load = (busy threads/ max threads) * load factor
the default load factor is 67

tomcat load = memory load + thread load

I plan to store the load factor in JMeter's properties file, so users can change the value. There are numerous limitation to this approach that I can think of, but I'm sure others can think of other limitations.

1. a small number of threads could be taking 100% of the CPU, like XML. which would mean both memory and thread don't tell you accurate what the load is

2. a large number of concurrent requests for static files may not place load on the system

3. memory usage could be high, but the system may be responding within acceptable ranges

The load calculation at this point is at a high level, but I feel it is still useful. Ultimately the load calculation will have to be specific to the actual webapps. Since JMeter and the new monitor will be extensible, users should be able to provide their own class to calculate load. Once I get a working version done. I can't say when it will get done, but I am actively working on it.

peter lin

Re: tomcat monitor plugin for JMeter

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.
I've commited the first set of icons for the monitor, for those who are curious. please email me directly with comments. the icons start with "monitor"

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/jakarta-jmeter/src/core/org/apache/jmeter/images/monitor-load-8.gif?rev=1.1

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.

I prefer to have a general simple calculation for health, rather than multiple tiers of warnings. The other thought I had for warning is:

(busy/max) > 75%

peter lin

Antonio_Fiol_Bonn�n <fi...@terra.es> wrote:
Hi,

I would establish two thresholds (possibly in %). Or maybe one threshold
could be "spare" and the other "spare/4" or something.

max == busy seems too high for a simple "warning". Apache web server
prints an "error" (not a warning IIRC) on the logs if MaxClients is reached.

Or maybe I dod not unserstand your proposal...

Antonio Fiol

Posted by Antonio Fiol Bonnín <fi...@terra.es>.
Hi,