Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Christian Gross <Ch...@yahoo.de> on 2001/05/25 05:30:51 UTC

SMS and Windows

Hi

I was wondering what the status of SMS is on Windows and how it will
impact Apache?

Here is why I am asking.  I see the sources for SMS in the APR tree,
but only for UNIX.  And since Apache is going all well, integrating
SMS will most likely mean requiring SMS to exist on all platforms.

Christian

Re: SMS and Windows

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 12:03:56AM -0400, Christian Gross wrote:
> No I do not think that at all.  I was inspecting the code in the UNIX
> and thought that yes it was pretty cross-platform.
>
> But what led me to this question was because none of the files were
> referenced in the project files.  For example there is the test file
> testmem.c, which was also not referenced in the aprtest project.
>
> Hence since none of the SMS was being referenced in Windows I thought
> there was a good reason for that, which I was missing.  And hence why
> I posted this question.
>
> But thank-you for the explanation on the apr/component/plat, etc.

AFAIK, no one (even Unix) is *using* SMS right now.  I think when Dave gets
back (think he said something about being gone for a week - not sure -
maybe I'm confused), he might add some more stuff - I think Sander has
a few patches outstanding?  But, I think it is waiting for the SMS code
to be stable (this is really being driven by the Samba people - they
know where this is going far better than I) and then it needs to be
tested and integrated with apr_pool_t.  -- justin

Re: SMS and Windows

Posted by Christian Gross <Ch...@yahoo.de>.

Re: SMS and Windows

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>.
You are missing the schema...

apr/component/plat is the preferred object, but if it's missing...
apr/component/unix is the authoritative (posix) implementation.

You don't seriously think win32 is missing all the files it would be,
if it didn't rely on unix :-?  In many cases, we do use the common
(unix) code.  When the code forks to violently (see file_io :-) then
we implement the win32 space and chop the code into two platforms.

Of course, there is the matter of adding the sms space into the win32
projects (apr.dsp and libapr.dsp), but that I'll try to get to early
next week.

There are actually some other bits we've fallen behind on, I'll try
to sync those all as well.

Bill