Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Prateek Jain J <pr...@ericsson.com> on 2016/04/27 15:07:39 UTC

solr | backup and restoration

Hi,

We are using solr 4.8.1 in production and want to create backups at runtime. As per the reference guide,  we can create backup using something like this:

http://localhost:8983/solr/myCore/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/myBackup&numberToKeep=1

and we verified that some file are getting created in /tmp/myBackup directory. The issue that we are facing is, how to restore everything using this backup.
 Admin guide does talk about "Merging Indexes" using two methods:

a.       indexDir for example,

http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=mergeindexes&core=core0&indexDir=/home/solr/core1/data/index&

indexDir=/home/solr/core2/data/index

b.      srcCore for example,

http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=mergeindexes&core=core0&srcCore=core1&srcCore=core2

these are not working in our case as, we want entire data should also be back there for example, if we want to re-create core from a snapshot. I do see there is such functionality available in later versions as, described here

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Making+and+Restoring+Backups+of+SolrCores

Regards,
Prateek Jain

Re: solr | backup and restoration

Posted by Jan Verweij - Reeleez <ja...@reeleez.nl>.
Hi Prateek,

To me it feels like the backup/restore is still an open item should be
higher on the agenda.
Yes, there are work-arounds like copying data from/into the index folder
but this doesn' t seem very stable.

I'm using the following approach in solrcloud since I ran into an issue
with restoring the same backup multiple times:

rm $SOLRDATA_LOCATION/$INDEXNAME/data/index.properties
rm -rf $SOLRDATA_LOCATION/$INDEXNAME/data/restore.snapshot.....
curl "
http://localhost:8983/solr/$INDEXNAME/replication?command=restore&location=$BACKUP_LOCATION&name=$INDEXNAME.$TIMESTAMP
"

Though this is working, I still think it should work with a simple restore
command and no need to tweak the current core/index directory/files.

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

*Jan Verweij*
+31 (0)6 460 010 86
jan@reeleez.nl
www.reeleez.nl
*Disclaimer*: The information contained in this message is for the intended
addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the intended addressee, please delete this message and
notify the sender; do not copy or distribute this message or disclose its
contents to anyone.

Posted by Prateek Jain J <pr...@ericsson.com>.