Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alexy Khrabrov <de...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/12 02:03:05 UTC

filtering passwords as properties

I'd like to have a semi-secure or just obscure enough way to hide
passwords.  Here's what I'd like to do.

Essentially, filtering of properties.  The password now is secure
enough when defined in a server section of settings.xml and then used
in a deployment plugin.  However I often use passwords in the code,
for connecting to application services.  E.g. I need a property for $
{twitter.username}.

I'd like for

-- the password to be encrypted in the same way as Maven 2.1.0 does
it; then
-- the password decrypted internally during compilation
-- the source file with the password to be interpolated with the
decrypted password during compilation
-- upon successful compilation into a class file or failed compile,
the expanded source to be discarded from target/

Is it doable with the current version?

Also, I tried to refer to the password as defined in settings.xml,

<servers>
   <server>
     <id>twitter</id>
     <username>blah</username>

-- but the dotted notation seems incapable of referring to the
username from the block with the id of "twitter".  Is there a way to
do it with ${settings:...what?...}

Cheers,
Alexy