Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by foretopman <pi...@yahoo.com> on 2008/11/20 02:11:34 UTC

space-end on inline throws off formatting in pdf

I wanted to start a block with a couple of inlines so that I could put a
text-decoration attribute (=underline) on them. And I wanted to have some
space after each inline that the text-decoration didn't apply to. So I put a
space-end attribute on each inline. (see attached FO file)

All of this worked just fine. But then I noticed that the space-end
attributes throw off the formatting of the first line of the block.

Note that the block has text-align="justify". This makes the problem more
noticeable, but the problem does not go away without it.

So, I have two questions:
1. Is this a bug, or am I just lucky it works as well as it does?
2. Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to achieve?

http://www.nabble.com/file/p20593179/bylaws.fo bylaws.fo

Re: space-end on inline throws off formatting in pdf

Posted by foretopman <pi...@yahoo.com>.

Vincent Hennebert-2 wrote:

> <snip>
> Meanwhile, you can use fo:leader instead of specifying space-end on the
> inlines:
>      <inline text-decoration="underline">Section 1.</inline><leader
> leader-length="2em"/>
>      <inline text-decoration="underline">Members.</inline><leader
> leader-length="1em"/>
> <snip>

Leader! Boy, I would never have thought of that. Thank you.

Re: space-end on inline throws off formatting in pdf

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

foretopman wrote:
> I wanted to start a block with a couple of inlines so that I could put a
> text-decoration attribute (=underline) on them. And I wanted to have some
> space after each inline that the text-decoration didn't apply to. So I put a
> space-end attribute on each inline. (see attached FO file)
>
> All of this worked just fine. But then I noticed that the space-end
> attributes throw off the formatting of the first line of the block.

This looks like a bug. Would you mind creating a bug report on FOP’s
bugzilla, attaching your sample file?
https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fop
Thanks!

Meanwhile, you can use fo:leader instead of specifying space-end on the
inlines:

> Note that the block has text-align="justify". This makes the problem more
> noticeable, but the problem does not go away without it.
>
> So, I have two questions:
> 1. Is this a bug, or am I just lucky it works as well as it does?
> 2. Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to achieve?
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p20593179/bylaws.fo bylaws.fo

HTH,
Vincent

Re: space-end on inline throws off formatting in pdf

Posted by foretopman <pi...@yahoo.com>.
I forgot to say that I'm using 0.95, not Trunk.