Posted to dev@hawq.apache.org by Vineet Goel <vv...@apache.org> on 2016/07/13 15:15:27 UTC

Re: A question of HAWQ (update/delete)

Update and Delete is not supported yet, but it's in the future plan. There
is a JIRA on it I believe:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ-304

Out of curiosity, what specific scenario are you trying to solve that
requires update/delete ?

-Vineet

Posted by James Campbell <ja...@pivotal.io>.
One way an “delete” can be implemented in Hawq is to use partition-exchange.  It is ugly, but it provides away of implement more of a batch update/delete.

In order to do this, you need partitioned tables.   For a delete, you select everything in the target partition out less the row(s) that you don’t want into a new partitioned table.   The new table has the correct data in it. You use the alter table command to execute a partition exchange.

You can us this general approach to perform an update.

Generally, it is not a good design practice to use deletes with big data or in data warehouses.  We don’t want to be trying to implement an OLTP system.  However, if there is a business case to do this, it can be done in more of a batch fashion.

—
Jim Campbell
jacampbell@pivotal.io <ma...@pivotal.io>
O: 703-753-5970
M: 571-247-6511

On July 13, 2016 at 12:18:19 PM, Wales Wang (wormwang@yahoo.com.invalid) wrote:

Actian vectorH can support update , delete on HDFS

Wales Wang

在 2016-7-13,下午11:15,Vineet Goel <vv...@apache.org> 写道:

Posted by Wales Wang <wo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.