Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sheng Liang <Sh...@citrix.com> on 2012/10/03 01:22:44 UTC

Project websites

I have a couple of questions regarding the CloudStack project now under incubation. Citrix contributed the CloudStack project to ASF in April this year. Right now Citrix still runs a project website called cloudstack.org.

1. When shall we redirect cloudstack.org to the Apache project page? (e.g., http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html)

2. We will not be able to move everything (user forum, etc.) on cloudstack.org to the official Apache project page. After we setup the redirect can we move the old content on cloudstack.org to a new website hosted by Citrix? Are there any rules on how a third-party Apache project user site can be named?

Thanks for your help!

Sheng

Re: Project websites

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
CloudStack dev@ should be copied in on this thread.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Sheng Liang <Sh...@citrix.com>
> > 1. When shall we redirect cloudstack.org to the Apache project page?
> (e.g., http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html)
>
> Podlings don't usually use that status page as their homepage, I'd
> expect cloudstack.org to redirect to
> http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/ - the sooner the better IMO,
> and in the meantime you could indicate at cloudstack.org that that
> site is moving to apache.org soon.
>

> > 2. We will not be able to move everything (user forum, etc.) on
> cloudstack.org to the official Apache project page.
> > After we setup the redirect can we move the old content on
> cloudstack.org to a new website hosted by Citrix?
> > Are there any rules on how a third-party Apache project user site can be
> named?...
>
> See http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/ - assuming the CloudStack
> trademark is being donated to the ASF as part of incubation, "Citrix's
> forums for Apache CloudStack" is fine as that makes it clear what is
> what, whereas "Cloudstack user forums" would be confusing as it lets
> people believe that those forums are official ASF forums.
>
> Another aspect is the community fragmentation, if you send people to
> outside forums instead of the Cloudstack users list, you might end up
> with half the community in each place.
>
> -Bertrand

NS

Re: Project websites

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

<bd...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Sheng Liang <Sh...@citrix.com>
> > 1. When shall we redirect cloudstack.org to the Apache project page?
> (e.g., http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html)
>
> Podlings don't usually use that status page as their homepage, I'd
> expect cloudstack.org to redirect to
> http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/ - the sooner the better IMO,
> and in the meantime you could indicate at cloudstack.org that that
> site is moving to apache.org soon.
>

> > 2. We will not be able to move everything (user forum, etc.) on
> cloudstack.org to the official Apache project page.
> > After we setup the redirect can we move the old content on
> cloudstack.org to a new website hosted by Citrix?
> > Are there any rules on how a third-party Apache project user site can be
> named?...
>
> See http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/ - assuming the CloudStack
> trademark is being donated to the ASF as part of incubation, "Citrix's
> forums for Apache CloudStack" is fine as that makes it clear what is
> what, whereas "Cloudstack user forums" would be confusing as it lets
> people believe that those forums are official ASF forums.
>
> Another aspect is the community fragmentation, if you send people to
> outside forums instead of the Cloudstack users list, you might end up
> with half the community in each place.
>
> -Bertrand

NS

Re: Project websites