Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2020/08/29 01:09:31 UTC

Re: Python bindings API confusion (+ svnbook swig-py examples not py3 compatible)

C. Michael Pilato wrote on Fri, 28 Aug 2020 13:49 -0400:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 7:10 AM Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>
> wrote:
>
> > C. Michael Pilato wrote on Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:23 -0400:
> > > Sending        subversion/bindings/swig/include/svn_types.swg
> > > Sending
> > subversion/bindings/swig/python/libsvn_swig_py/swigutil_py.c
> > > Sending
> > subversion/bindings/swig/python/libsvn_swig_py/swigutil_py.h
> > > Sending        subversion/bindings/swig/svn_fs.i
> > > Sending        subversion/bindings/swig/svn_repos.i
> > > Transmitting file data .....done
> > > Committing transaction...
> > > Committed revision 1880967.
> > >
> > > I made only minor comment/formatting changes.
> >
> > Shouldn't the change be documented somewhere for users of the
> > bindings?  (E.g., release notes, API errata, API documentation…)
> >

> Yes, I think that makes sense.  The release notes for sure.  As for API
> docs/errata ... do we even have such a thing for the bindings?

We have errata in notes/api-errata/, and the release notes could point
to them.

Documentation… I think there's just the README files in the source,
release notes of past minor lines, and the example code in
#svn.developer.usingapi.codesamples in the book?

Cheers,

Daniel

P.S.  The example code in that section of the book won't work in
Python 3 (due to using py2-only "print" and "except" syntaxes).  We
should probably add some text explaining the example code is py2 but
the bindings support py3 as well (as explained in the 1.l4 release
notes), or better yet, port the examples to py3.