Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Aureliano Buendia <bu...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/22 20:12:43 UTC

Union of 2 RDD's only returns the first one

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to create a csv header when using saveAsTextFile,
and I came up with this:

(sc.makeRDD(Array("col1,col2,col3"), 1) ++
myRdd.coalesce(1).map(_.mkString(",")))
      .saveAsTextFile("out.csv")

But it only saves the header part. Why is that the union method does not
return both RDD's?

Re: Union of 2 RDD's only returns the first one

Posted by Mingyu Kim <mk...@palantir.com>.
I agree with you in general that as an API user, I shouldn’t be relying on
code. However, without looking at the code, there is no way for me to find
out even whether map() keeps the row order. Without the knowledge at all,
I’d need to do “sort” every time I need certain things in a certain order.
(and, sort is really expensive.) On the other hand, if I can assume, say,
“filter” or “map” doesn’t shuffle the rows around, I can do the sort once
and assume that the order is retained throughout such operations saving a
lot of time from doing unnecessary sorts.

Mingyu

From:  Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>
Date:  Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM
To:  "user@spark.apache.org" <us...@spark.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: Union of 2 RDD's only returns the first one

Which is what you shouldn't be doing as an API user, since that
implementation code might change.  The documentation doesn't mention a row
ordering guarantee, so none should be assumed.

It is hard enough for us to correctly document all of the things that the
API does do.  We really shouldn't be forced into the expectation that we
will also fully document everything that the API doesn't do.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Mingyu Kim <mk...@palantir.com> wrote:
> Okay, that makes sense. It’d be great if this can be better documented at
> some point, because the only way to find out about the resulting RDD row
> order is by looking at the code.
>
> Thanks for the discussion!
>
> Mingyu
>

> On 4/29/14, 11:59 PM, "Patrick Wendell" <pw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >I don't think we guarantee anywhere that union(A, B) will behave by
>> >concatenating the partitions, it just happens to be an artifact of the
>> >current implementation.
>> >
>> >rdd1 = [1,2,3]
>> >rdd2 = [1,4,5]
>> >
>> >rdd1.union(rdd2) = [1,2,3,1,4,5] // how it is now
>> >rdd1.union(rdd2) = [1,4,5,1,2,3] // some day it could be like this, it
>> >wouldn't violate the contract of union
>> >
>> >AFIAK the only guarentee is the resulting RDD will contain all elements.
>> >
>> >- Patrick

Keep in

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Mingyu Kim <mk...@palantir.com>.