Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Duarte Loreto <ha...@hotmail.com> on 2003/06/03 16:28:15 UTC

Load-balancing not equal amongst 2 Tomcat (using Apache and mod_jk)

   Hello!

I'm running Apache 2.0.45 with self compiled mod_jk (version
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.4). It is supposed to load-balance between two
jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4, one on the localhost and another on a remote machine.
Both machines are HP-UX 11.00. JDK is 1.3.1 and the Apache is a HP bundle
(except for the self-compiled mod_jk, as I said).

I require that the server loadbalances requests with sticky session as I
need the users to remain on the same server throughout their transactions.

The problem I'm having is that instead of having a 50%/50% load distribution
amongst the two tomcats (Tomcat1 and Tomcat2), I have a 10%/90%
distribution. This is causing disruptive behaviour on the tomcat2 server as
it does not handle the load on peek hours.

Bellow is a stripped version of my workers.properties (stripped of comments
and with the 2nd machine name changed).

Please help me solve this. Request any other information if necessary. By
the way... Upgrading Tomcat/Connectors is planned just for in 4 months or
so. It is very burochratic and it takes very long to upgrade anything, so...
Upgrading components will not be the best solution, unfortunatly (I had to
wait 2 months for a Apache upgrade from 2.0.39 to 2.0.45... 2 months and a
lot of mails and documents).

Many thanks for your attention.

Duarte "HappyGuy" Loreto

"Don't worry, be happy!"

workers.tomcat_home=/apps/webapps/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
workers.java_home=/opt/java1.3
ps=/
worker.list=tomcat1, tomcat2, loadbalancer

#------ TOMCAT1 WORKER DEFINITION ------------------------------
worker.tomcat1.port=8009
worker.tomcat1.host=localhost
worker.tomcat1.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat1.lbfactor=1
worker.tomcat1.cachesize=300
worker.tomcat1.cache_timeout=600
worker.tomcat1.socket_keepalive=0
worker.tomcat1.socket_timeout=1800

#------ TOMCAT2 WORKER DEFINITION ------------------------------
worker.tomcat2.port=9010
worker.tomcat2.host=theotherservername
worker.tomcat2.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat2.lbfactor=1
worker.tomcat2.cachesize=300
worker.tomcat2.cache_timeout=600
worker.tomcat2.socket_keepalive=0
worker.tomcat2.socket_timeout=1800

#------ DEFAULT LOAD BALANCER WORKER DEFINITION ----------------------
worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=tomcat1, tomcat2

worker.inprocess.type=jni
worker.inprocess.class_path=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)lib$(ps)catalina.jar
worker.inprocess.lbfactor=1
worker.inprocess.cachesize=150
worker.inprocess.cmd_line=start
worker.inprocess.cmd_line=-config
worker.inprocess.cmd_line=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)conf$(ps)server.xml
worker.inprocess.cmd_line=-home
worker.inprocess.cmd_line=$(workers.tomcat_home)
worker.inprocess.jvm_lib=$(workers.java_home)$(ps)jre$(ps)lib$(ps)PA_RISC2.0$(ps)server$(ps)libjvm.sl
worker.inprocess.stdout=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)logs$(ps)inprocess.stdout
worker.inprocess.stderr=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)logs$(ps)inprocess.stderr
worker.inprocess.sysprops=tomcat.home=$(workers.tomcat_home)

Re: Load-balancing not equal amongst 2 Tomcat (using Apache and mod_jk)

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
I don't have access to a HP-UX box, but at a guess, the HP-UX Apache uses
the pre-fork MPM.  What you are seeing is pretty typical of that case.  At
the very least, you need to be using the worker MPM for this to work at the
moment.

You'll also have to upgrade your version of mod_jk (at the very least).  You
might also want to check out mod_jk2, which IMHO has the best load-balancing
support.