Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by berndf <be...@apache.org> on 2007/10/02 07:43:59 UTC

[Proposal] Move Spring-Deployment module to TRUNK

Hi,

The experimental spring-deployment module in sandbox is ready for
integration with trunk, IMHO.

This deployment is useful as a standalone server as well as for
embedding James in an already existing Spring-Application or for very
simple extensibility by adding custom service beans (for example, new
repository impls).

It does not change any code from other modules and uses configuration
files from phoenix-deployment unchanged, too.

I will put out a vote in a _separate_ thread in a week or so, this
thread is intended just for discussing the proposal.

The module is currently untested on Windows.

If you want to test it, just svn checkout
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/sandbox/spring-integration

then copy over james-server*.jars from trunk, for example by executing
    cp trunk/stage/org.apache.james/jars/james-server-* \
       spring-integration/stage/org.apache.james/jars/

then
    cd spring-deployment
    ant
to create a deployment, or even start the server by issuing
    ant run

Note: This module only generates a binary distribution since we already
have a source code distribution. We'd have to add the new module to it
to have it complete.

Future plans:
I plan to use James/Spring as a basis to demonstrate integration with
Tomcat and Geronimo. By "demonstrate" I mean, this would be done in a
sandbox but is not intended for later trunk integration. Don't know when
I get around to do this, it's just a plan.

   Bernd

Credits: Thanks to Robert for modularizing TRUNK. This made my work so
much easier.

Re: [Proposal] Move Spring-Deployment module to TRUNK

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/2/07, Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/2/07, berndf <be...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I will put out a vote in a _separate_ thread in a week or so, this
> > thread is intended just for discussing the proposal.
>
> I like the idea.

+1

- robert

Re: [Proposal] Move Spring-Deployment module to TRUNK

Posted by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com>.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

Re: [Proposal] Move Spring-Deployment module to TRUNK

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On 10/2/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> I can test this on windows, but I prefer to do this once it is part of
> trunk (it will be faster for me and I can take care of the maven stuff
> at the same time).

ok, that's great!

  Bernd

Re: [Proposal] Move Spring-Deployment module to TRUNK

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
berndf ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> The experimental spring-deployment module in sandbox is ready for
> integration with trunk, IMHO.

COOL!

> This deployment is useful as a standalone server as well as for
> embedding James in an already existing Spring-Application or for very
> simple extensibility by adding custom service beans (for example, new
> repository impls).

+1

> It does not change any code from other modules and uses configuration
> files from phoenix-deployment unchanged, too.
>
> I will put out a vote in a _separate_ thread in a week or so, this
> thread is intended just for discussing the proposal.

IMHO it worth merging as soon as possible, and fine tune or further
evolve it directly in trunk.

> The module is currently untested on Windows.
>
> If you want to test it, just svn checkout
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/sandbox/spring-integration

I can test this on windows, but I prefer to do this once it is part of
trunk (it will be faster for me and I can take care of the maven stuff
at the same time).

Stefano