Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/04/15 13:48:48 UTC

The state of Sirona

All,

I hate bringing up these topics.  But I think we as the IPMC we have to
take a close look at how Sirona is running and figure out what to do next.

- The podling has not reported in several months (this is their 3rd attempt
at monthly).
- Every time the thought of retirement comes up, a little bit of activity
on the project happens.  It doesn't sustain.
- There is some limited project history, but no real contribution in 6
months ( https://github.com/apache/sirona/commits/trunk )

I personally don't want to see projects go, and I don't want to force a
project to leave, but at the same time I'm not convinced that there's
enough of a community behind the project to sustain it going forward.
They've put together a limited plan to get a release out the door, but
other than that I'm not sure they're going to be able to move forward.

So I want to ask, as the IPMC, do we want to give them time to regroup?

John

Re: The state of Sirona

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le 16 avr. 2017 06:58, "Niclas Hedhman" <ni...@hedhman.org> a écrit :

One could also ask the question; Considering how hyped "devops" culture is
right now, the central role that monitoring and visualization of that is
for devops, How come this project can't attract hordes of people? Is there
something inherent in Apache Incubator that interested parties have some
aversion of "incubating" or is it ASF as a whole isn't the right place for
these kinds of efforts?

The answer of "Too many out there", didn't seemed to have played a role in
the days of XML and WebApp frameworks, so I doubt that is the cause.

Adopters mainly were 100% java in term of philosophy or starting from
nothing so my (personal) explanation is devops is trendy but game was
already played in term of tool adoption. Not bringing anything really new
made our proposal having this characteristic. Just my interpretation but
dont think it is far to the reality.

Also think we were really bad in term of comm and, not sure why, comm
channels were always elsewhere than sirona@ (irc, direct ping, tomee
channels, ....).

Cheers
Niclas