Posted to users@royale.apache.org by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/07 16:27:41 UTC

Royale vs other frameworks

Hi,

What's your take on royale vs other frameworks? Has there been some sort of
comparison made by anyone yet on the pro's and con's?

Some questions that come to mind are:

* What are the advantages of using Apache Royale over Angular or React or
VueJS?
* Will Royale be supported by Typescript? Can we use Typescript instead of
actionscript for Royale projects?

Thanks and best regards!

Fréderic

Re: Royale vs other frameworks

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

El mié., 7 nov. 2018 a las 21:09, Fréderic Cox (<co...@gmail.com>)
escribió:

> Thanks for clarifying this a bit more Carlos, it is an interesting topic
> for me as the company I work for is in some trouble and if I should find a
> new job (unsure at the moment) then it can be that I need to use
> typescript, react or angular .. as the entire dev community seems to use
> these days. Nobody has heard of Royale, so I'm planning to look into also
> because I like the workflow with AS3 and MXML.

is clear that now the game is Angular, React and VueJS. Royale will need
more time to be considered by more people. I expect that as me and others
can get real apps written in Royale, people will want to enter Royale. I
can say that I think now is a good time. But if you are making a change,
I'm afraid you'll need to go with the stablished JS frameworks. Consultancy
companies shell what is hot, since is what clients demand. In my company,
since we shell products and services (not technology itself), we can go
with Royale, since our clients don't know how is done, and it doesn't
matter for them, while works ;)
So for us, Royale is the clear winner.

> I see similar concepts so far in those Js frameworks I recently started to
> pick up, I'm not very skilled in them yet so can't compare it yet. Truth is
> there are not that many actionscripts developers anymore so I think part of
> Royale's succes would be to embrace typescript.

I'm with you, Royale will be a real option with two things:

1) TypeScript support
2) More NodeJS support (We support NodeJS, but I think we need real world
testers that know Royale and signal if we need to improve things, and I'm
sure will be some things to improve for sure)

> How would such a thing be achieved? I wouldn't know where to start at this
> point to be honest :-)

If you refer to add TS support, you can start it as a hobby project trying
to get some fun. Some points I'll do:

1) you'll need to be confortable with Royale, install repos, build with
Maven and ANT, build SDK from repos. Use VS Code with you SDK and try some
example, for example Jewel Example. I think this is a must, don't know how
much of this you still know, if not invest some time trying it. I think is
funny

2) Browser compiler code and localize AS3 grammar, and related classes and
read in the wiki how compiler works with this. I think Alex wrote something
in the wiki.
You can always ask here. I still does not have the knowledge in that field
(hope to acquire at some time as I end my work in other parts), but others
could help you

3) now TS: I think TypeScript grammar should be probably available in a
license that we can use so the work should be to bring it to the project
and wire it in the compiler, so .ts files will be recognized and could be
analyzed, processed and compiled. Don't know how much time/effort could be
this, but again, you can ask here.
If you take that seriously and make some PRs with some quality and people
see your commits are reliable (don't break things, and don't need to
editing, or few editing) you can become committer and continue on your own.

If I have time, I think that would be a very cool and fun task to do, but
I'm buried in other tasks, and I think I have work in Royale for years, and
others too, so I think we need help on that field to make that happen.

Thanks and hope you're encouraged to participate! :)

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by radu birsan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Action script is basically typescript on steroids