Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> on 2023/04/26 10:20:13 UTC

[VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Howdy,

We solved 2 issues (1 bug + 1 doco task):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12320628&version=12353151

There are still some issues in JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MRESOLVER/issues

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1923/

Source release SHA512:
133ee4abe463fefe05ecf2da3b1cf9ad94192d6a1744041e4e4664fa447118e84a3a017351e9ae6c629598ea8eb81802dd34f71c5cdd99a46e311cd3c277512c

Staging site:
https://maven.apache.org/resolver-archives/resolver-LATEST/

Guide to testing staged releases:
https://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.
*➜
<https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/8all-relnotes.html#JDK-8153005>
Upgraded
the Default PKCS12 Encryption Algorithms*

The default encryption algorithms used in a PKCS #12 keystore have been
updated. The new algorithms are based on AES-256 and SHA-256 and are
stronger than the old algorithms that were based on RC2, DESede, and SHA-1.
See the security properties starting with keystore.pkcs12 in the
java.security file for detailed information.

https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/8all-relnotes.html#R180_301

https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8153005

śr., 26 kwi 2023 o 13:57 Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Yes, GH CI builds on macOS as well in matrix of Java 8/11/17 just like
other nodes.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
IMHO is not even resembling:

there (if this is about 0 byte "marker" file) a _state_ was recorded (and
kept) on disk, making the disk carrying the "state" that determined the
outcome of the build.
here, a file is being read by JDK, and it is read successfully on many, and
failed to read at Elliotte workstation.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,

Am fine with that, what I don't understand is:
1. how are both CIs on 3 different JDKs not catching this?
2. "Invalid keystore format" would mean the file is corrupted (unreadable)
-- again, how is the file then read on those computers?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,

unsure what your workstation does that bot CI (ASF and GH) nor my WS does
not do, but:

[INFO] Running org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpTransporterTest
[INFO] Tests run: 72, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
3.849 s - in org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpTransporterTest
From ASF CI
https://ci-maven.apache.org/blue/organizations/jenkins/Maven%2Fmaven-box%2Fmaven-resolver/detail/master/157/pipeline/60

[INFO] Running org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpTransporterTest
[INFO] Tests run: 72, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
4.372 s - in org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpTransporterTest
From GH CI
https://github.com/apache/maven-resolver/actions/runs/4807398899/jobs/8556179015

And the same as above (all ok) is on my workstation as well, so it is 3
against you :)

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Is anyone able to reproduce Elliotte's
HttpTransporterTest.testGet_HTTPS_Insecure_SecurityMode:416
» IllegalState java.io.IOException: Invalid keystore format
on mac, the issue he called -1 for?

I cannot:
macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (22E261)

➜  maven-resolver git:(master) java -version
openjdk version "17.0.7" 2023-04-18
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Temurin-17.0.7+7 (build 17.0.7+7)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Temurin-17.0.7+7 (build 17.0.7+7, mixed mode,
sharing)
➜  maven-resolver git:(master) mvn -v
Apache Maven 3.9.1 (2e178502fcdbffc201671fb2537d0cb4b4cc58f8)
Maven home: /Users/cstamas/.sdkman/candidates/maven/current
Java version: 17.0.7, vendor: Eclipse Adoptium, runtime:
/Users/cstamas/.sdkman/candidates/java/17.0.7-tem
Default locale: en_HU, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "mac os x", version: "13.3.1", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
➜  maven-resolver git:(master)

Thanks

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.
What Java version?

śr., 26 kwi 2023, 13:57 użytkownik Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,

m-dep-p output should be always interpreted with a "grain of salt".
For example, how do you "use" (according to m-dep-p) slf4j-simple?
Also, for sisu and related, they are required to bring up container, even
if not ":used" (according to m-dep-p)
etc.

So most of it is just noise.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,

It merely requires "recent version" of Maven, see
https://maven.apache.org/docs/history.html for what it means

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
And one more thing regarding your "a fully up-to-date corp managed MacBook
with the version of Maven installed by homebrew."

If I ask homebrew about Maven, it says this:
https://gist.github.com/cstamas/2bc091174919c007d57475262d49df75

But also look at "maven@3.5" output:
"Disabled because it is not maintained upstream!"

To me it seems even Homebrew tries to warn you.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.
+1

śr., 26 kwi 2023, 12:21 użytkownik Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
Stack traces from both failing tests look similar, specifically failing in

    at org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpServer.addSslConnector(HttpServer.java:165)
    at org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpServer.addSelfSignedSslConnector(HttpServer.java:143)

That seems to be thrown from here when the server starts up:

try {
httpsConnector.start();
} catch (Exception e) {
throw new IllegalStateException(e);
}

However, the real problem seems likely to be a few lines earlier:

if (needClientAuth) {
    ssl.setNeedClientAuth(true);
    ssl.setKeyStorePath(new
File("src/test/resources/ssl/server-store").getAbsolutePath());
    ssl.setKeyStorePassword("server-pwd");
    ssl.setTrustStorePath(new
File("src/test/resources/ssl/client-store").getAbsolutePath());
    ssl.setTrustStorePassword("client-pwd");
} else {
    ssl.setNeedClientAuth(false);
    ssl.setKeyStorePath(new
File("src/test/resources/ssl/server-store-selfsigned").getAbsolutePath());
    ssl.setKeyStorePassword("server-pwd");
}

Likely the issue is in the file src/test/resources/ssl/server-store-selfsigned

[ERROR] Tests run: 72, Failures: 0, Errors: 2, Skipped: 0, Time
elapsed: 2.415 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpTransporterTest
[ERROR] org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpTransporterTest.testGet_HTTPS_Insecure_SecurityMode
 Time elapsed: 0.015 s  <<< ERROR!
java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.io.IOException: Invalid keystore format
    at org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpServer.addSslConnector(HttpServer.java:165)
    at org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpServer.addSelfSignedSslConnector(HttpServer.java:143)
    at org.eclipse.aether.transport.http.HttpTransporterTest.testGet_HTTPS_Insecure_SecurityMode(HttpTransporterTest.java:416)

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Sure, and to repeat:

Am fine with whatever Maven users install on their machines (managed or
not),
if they install Maven 3.1.0 in 2023, am fine with that. Naturally, when
they will
try to report an issue, our very first reaction will be "please upgrade".

Plugins (or even Resolver) are NOT "bound" to latest Maven, you can use
them in
whatever version of Maven (well, currently ASF Maven Core plugins target
3.2.5 as prerequisite)
as *plugin* or as *dependency*.

But *building* them out of source, that is something completely different.
Then you are not
"using" the resolver, you are "building" the resolver, so don't mix the
two. During *building* it,
this "robustness" principle, that is otherwise welcome and present (as
*using* plugins or *depending* on resolver with Maven 3.2.5)
IMHO is _unwanted_: we define the matrix of CI jobs by OS, Java version and
Maven version, so
should we now broaden the matrix to java8u110, java8u250 and java8u300
(since somewhere between
these changes regarding keystore)?

So again, this release of Resolver 1.9.9, once integrated into Maven 3.9.2
and released,
will happily hum along on your fairly up to date MacBook with Java 8u172.

Just don't run the Resolver UTs :)

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Thanks Elliotte!

But allow me a bit of a rant here:
- You explicitly reported "on my personal and slightly more up to date
MacBook [...] [the test fails, hence am -1 on release]".
- Then it turns out, you use Maven 3.5.0 (from 2018, unmaintained).
- Then it turns out, you use Java 8u172 (from 2018, obviously outdated as
current Java 8 is u300-ish).

All this caused a huge pollution to the voting thread.

Personally, I don't care what downstream developers use (outdated Maven
and/or Java and even OS) to build their stuff,
but "at the source", where we produce Maven and related libraries for
downstream consumption,
we should be REALLY up to date. This is in OUR favor, just to make sure all
the known issues from our
tools can be excluded (or if new issues found, easier to find them), as
much as possible.

Due this, am on edge to call a vote to:
- set Maven parent POM to contain enforcer rule, allowing only "maintained"
Maven versions (as per https://maven.apache.org/docs/history.html)
- set Maven parent POM to contain enforcer rule for "sanely up to date"
Java versions (unsure is it possible, but to prevent someone trying Java
8u5 or alike).
,
Simply put, if we cannot enforce downstream users, at least it should be
us, Maven devs, who use sane versions of our tooling (to produce Maven
libraries).

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 11:06 PM Jeremy Landis <je...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Without knowing more details myself, couple of possibilities come to mind...
>
> - Was keystore made with newer jdk?  See  https://support.oracle.com/knowledge/More%20Applications%20and%20Technologies/2847060_1.html.
> - Was the keystore filtered?
>
> Gut tells me it’s the first issue given how old 1.8.0_172 is (2018-04-17).

Sounds possible. On the same MacBook I see

$ keytool -list -keystore
maven-resolver-transport-http/src/test/resources/ssl/server-store-selfsigned
Enter keystore password:
keytool error: java.io.IOException: Invalid keystore format

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

RE: [VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Apache Maven 3.8.7 (b89d5959fcde851dcb1c8946a785a163f14e1e29)
Maven home: /opt/java/apache-maven-3.8.7 Java version: 1.8.0_172, vendor: Oracle Corporation, runtime:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_172.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: UTF-8 OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.16", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
(base) ~/maven-fluido-skin$ java -version java version "1.8.0_172"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_172-b11) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.172-b11, mixed mode)

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
here's my environment:

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
+1

Build ok on:

--
Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Resolver 1.9.9

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,

I am CANCELLING this vote, as an issue was found in 1.9.9 (and exists in
1.9.8 as well) that could cause "dependency convergence" analysis to
falsely report no issue in some cases.

Issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-357

Thanks

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2023-04-26 um 12:20 schrieb Tamás Cservenák:
> Howdy,
>
> We solved 2 issues (1 bug + 1 doco task):
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12320628&version=12353151
>
> There are still some issues in JIRA:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MRESOLVER/issues
>
> Staging repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1923/
>
> Source release SHA512:
> 133ee4abe463fefe05ecf2da3b1cf9ad94192d6a1744041e4e4664fa447118e84a3a017351e9ae6c629598ea8eb81802dd34f71c5cdd99a46e311cd3c277512c
>
> Staging site:
> https://maven.apache.org/resolver-archives/resolver-LATEST/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> https://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html