Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Frank Yang <fa...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/06 18:59:36 UTC

Dynamic columns in a column family?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering whether it is possible to not to define the column
metadata when creating a column family, but to specify the column when
client updates data, for example:

CREATE COLUMN FAMILY products WITH default_validation_class= UTF8Type
AND key_validation_class=UTF8Type AND comparator=UTF8Type;
set products['1001']['brand']= ‘Sony’;

In other words, we don't want to fix the columns definition when
creating a column family, as we might have to insert new columns into
the column family.  Is it possible to achieve it?

Thanks,
Fan

Re: Dynamic columns in a column family?

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Yes.

(Please keep these to the user list rather than dev.)

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: Dynamic columns in a column family?

Posted by Vivek Mishra <vi...@yahoo.com>.
I think Cassandra automatically handles it. isn't it?