Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sean <ja...@wideasleep.com> on 2001/05/03 00:00:11 UTC

Servlets, Beans, and Threading

Hello All,

If I have a process that needs to run within Tomcat to communicate with a
remote server, and that process needs it's own thread of execution, what
would be the best way to go about this in the Tomcat/Servlet container
world?  I am not sure if each Servlet has it's own thread of execution so I
wasn't sure if I should just subclass Servlet or HttpServlet.  I am not sure
of the ramifications of having a bean manage it's own threads and how that
would effect Tomcat in general.

Does anyone have any pointers, ideas, or suggestions on how they have done
this or would go about doing this nicely in Tomcat?  Would this be cross
container code or Tomcat specific?

Thanks,
Sean