Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by John Hartman <jh...@walrus.com> on 2000/07/26 06:59:50 UTC

SOAPException when calling rpcrouter.jsp

When making the following command line call,

java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://localhost:80/soap/rpcrouter.jsp list

I end up with the following SOAPException:

Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client;
msg=Root element of a SOAP message must be:
'http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Envelope'.;
targetException=java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Root element of a SOAP
message must be: 'http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Envelope'.]
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:181)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.invokeMethod(ServiceManagerClien
t.java:108)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.list(ServiceManagerClient.java:1
30)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.main(ServiceManagerClient.java:1
93)

I've installed the most recent version of IBM-SOAP.jar available from IBM
(1.2), as well as Xerces 1.1.2, and using Apache with JServ 1.1.2, all
running on a relatively recent Linux kernel.

Some questions for anyone who has their finger on this:
1. What can I do to get a closer look at what org.apache.soap.rpc.Call is
generating?
2. Should I be concerned about the Xerces installation? Would a flaw there
cascade into my Soap installation?
3. Would the latest CVS help?

Thanks!

-John Hartman

RE: SOAPException when calling rpcrouter.jsp

Posted by Steven McDowall <sj...@aptest.com>.
You MUST use the xml.apache.org CVS archive and build the latest..

The IBM-SOAP stuff has been deprecated in favor of xml.apache.org version
and
not updated in a while and has a few issues.. :-)

Anyone from IBM, can you go to your SOAP site and re-direct them to
xml.apache.org/soap ?
That may save us more issues in the future..

-Steve

> I've installed the most recent version of IBM-SOAP.jar available from IBM
> (1.2), as well as Xerces 1.1.2, and using Apache with JServ 1.1.2, all
> running on a relatively recent Linux kernel.

> Some questions for anyone who has their finger on this:

I wouldn't exactly say I have my finger on it but I have a few ideas.

> 1. What can I do to get a closer look at what org.apache.soap.rpc.Call is
> generating?

I recommend trying the TcpTunnelGui class. It shows you whats traveling on
the http
wire. See the the ReleaseNotes.html in the ibm-soap distribution.

> 2. Should I be concerned about the Xerces installation? Would a flaw there
> cascade into my Soap installation?

I think you need the xerces 1.03 due to some bug in the later versions that
adversley effect ibm-soap.

> 3. Would the latest CVS help?

 I am using the distribution obtained from ibm's web site.
So, I can't really comment on the apache distribution. I noticed that people
that
were using ibm's but then switched, had a few problems due to some small
changes in the apache version.

Posted by Rich Johns <rj...@vignette.com>.

Posted by Rich Johns <rj...@vignette.com>.