Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Muhammad Asif <md...@wol.net.pk> on 2004/03/30 09:06:41 UTC

Slide 2 and Search in Binary Files

hi,

i need some information regarding searching in binary files (pdf, doc etc)
using slide 2.

Does slide support searching from inside the binary files? Does we need to
formulate the queries in some special manner for searching in binary files.
CONTAINS doesn't seems to work with such files.

Thanks.

Asif

Re: Slide 2 and Search in Binary Files

Posted by Daniel Florey <df...@c1-fse.de>.
Hi,
the slide search needs some redesign to fullfill the requests like yours
that come up quit often: Full text search capabilities of different
doc-types and even more important: speed. The current generic search is
doing quit well regarding the DASl-spec but is not fast enough with the
default store impls to be usable for complex queries.
As this is a complex task don't expect anything before slide > 2.1
Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Muhammad Asif <md...@wol.net.pk> writes:

> thanks martin ,
>
> i haven't jump into DASL yet but can i summarize it as currently slide
> treat binary files search
>
> as simple text.
>
> This is because when i opened word file in notepad and extracted a
> word from it and build a CONTAINS query it returns the search results
> successfully.

Sorry, I should really look into the DASL stuff.

Re: Slide 2 and Search in Binary Files

Posted by Muhammad Asif <md...@wol.net.pk>.
thanks martin ,

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.