Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com> on 2016/07/26 13:21:33 UTC

Minimal Sling

Hi all,

For educational purposes I am investigating a minimal, bare bones Sling.
It should include core OSGi bundles and the minimal necessary Sling concepts (resource resolver), but nothing more (content repo, etc).

Has anyone worked on something like this that I could re-use?

Also related to this I had a look at the File System Resource Provider [1]. AFAICS it works with files (binaries), but there does not seem to be a feature that would allow to work with fine-granular content (e.g. a JSON file). Has anyone worked on extending the FSRP by chance?

Thanks for any hints!
Michael

[1] https://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/accessing-filesystem-resources-extensions-fsresource.html

Re: Minimal Sling

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Tuesday 26 July 2016 13:21:33 Michael Marth wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Michael,

> For educational purposes I am investigating a minimal, bare bones Sling.
> It should include core OSGi bundles and the minimal necessary Sling concepts
> (resource resolver), but nothing more (content repo, etc).

> Has anyone worked on something like this that I could re-use?

the Karaf Feature "sling" is a minimal Sling:

https://github.com/apache/sling/blob/trunk/karaf/org.apache.sling.karaf-features/src/main/feature/feature.xml

You can use SlingOptions (derived from Sling's Karaf Features) from Testing
PaxExam for setting up a minimal Sling instance for tests:

https://github.com/apache/sling/blob/trunk/testing/org.apache.sling.testing.paxexam/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/testing/paxexam/SlingOptions.java

Regards,
O.

Re: Minimal Sling

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Michael Dürig <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was Microsling [1] a while ago....

That's more like eons ago ;-)

As much as I love the Microsling story I don't think using it today
would make sense.

> (Googling the term is a bit awkward though...)

That was not on purpose. Honest ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: Minimal Sling

Posted by Michael Dürig <mi...@gmail.com>.
There was Microsling [1] a while ago. (Googling the term is a bit
awkward though...)

http://sling.apache.org/site/module-reorganization-proposal.html#ModuleReorganizationProposal-microslingProjects

Re: Minimal Sling

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
> Hi,
> Related to this subject.
>
> Is it possible to run Sling with the FSRP as the root ResourceResolver at /
> ?
> Or run a root ResourceResover that did almost nothing other than allow
> ResourceProviders to be registered ?

Yes, that's possible

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: Minimal Sling

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi,
Related to this subject.

Is it possible to run Sling with the FSRP as the root ResourceResolver at /
?
Or run a root ResourceResover that did almost nothing other than allow
ResourceProviders to be registered ?

Best Regards
Ian

RE: Minimal Sling