Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@c-s.fr> on 2017/11/02 10:54:58 UTC

using includes in maven-source-plugin induces sources are not found anymore

Hi all,

I am using maven-souce-plugin in a profile, in order to generate the
sources jar. As this sources jar is in a sense a source distribution
(even if it is intended only for IDE completion use), it should
include the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files that are present at
the top level of the project.

So my pom looks as follows:

<profile>
  <id>release</id>
    <build>
    <plugins>
       <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-source-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>3.0.1</version>
        <configuration>
          <includes>
            <include>LICENSE.txt</include>
            <include>NOTICE.txt</include>
          </includes>
        </configuration>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>create-source-jar</id>
            <goals>
              <goal>jar</goal>
            </goals>
            <phase>package</phase>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
</profile>

When I run "mvn -Prelease package", I get the following error:

[INFO] --- maven-source-plugin:3.0.1:jar (create-source-jar) @ orekit ---
[INFO] No sources in project. Archive not created.

If I remove the <configuration>...</configuration> part, the source jar
is created nominally, as the sources are in the standard src/main/java
directory.

It seems to me that adding the <includes>...</includes> somehow hides
or clears the regular list of source files. I would have expected that
includes adds to this list.

I have tried to add the path to the sources in a third <include>,
alongside the LICENSE and NOTICE ones, using either
{$project.buid.sourceDirectory} or hard-coded paths, but nothing works,
or at least I did not find the correct include statement.

How can I put these two extra files into the source jar and still have
the sources too?

best regards,
Luc

Re: using includes in maven-source-plugin induces sources are not found anymore

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Fri 3 Nov 2017 at 16:18, MAISONOBE Luc <lu...@c-s.fr> wrote:

> Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> a écrit :
>
> > yes, really ugly :)
> >
> > usual with Maven when you're trying to do by configuration something
> > that would
> > best be served with a supported feature, that defines the associated
> > convention
> >
> > that's why I told at the beginning that perhaps it deserved a new
> feature in
> > maven-source-plugin
> >
> > something like "additionnalFiles" list that would add some files at
> > root of the
> > generated jar (like NOTICE and LICENSE)
> >
> > I'm open to PRs :)
>
> I don't have time for this right now, but I definitely will consider it.
> I don't know the internals of maven, so it would probably be a good
> exercise
> to learn them.

At least file a JIRA

> best regards,
> Luc
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le jeudi 2 novembre 2017, 22:25:49 CET MAISONOBE Luc a écrit :
> >> Hi,

> files

> **/*.java

> tree.

> but
> >>
> >> I finally managed to do what I wanted. The solution involved:
> >>
> >>    - using maven-antrun-plugin to:
> >>         + create a directory
> >> ${project.build.outputDirectory}/license-and-notice-placeholder
> >>         + copy LICENSE.txt from top directory to the created directory
> >>         + copy NOTICE.txt from top directory to the created directory
> >>    - using build-helper-maven-plugin to add this directory to the
> >> sources directories
> >>    - use maven-source-plugin with includes set to:
> >>         + **/*.java
> >>         + LICENSE.txt
> >>         + NOTICE.txt
> >>
> >> All three plugins are run only in a profile and they are bound to
> >> package phase.
> >>
> >> This works, but it is really ugly.
> >>
> >> best regards,
> >> Luc

> orekit

> jar
> src/main/java

> hides
> that

> works,

> have

Sent from my phone

Re: using includes in maven-source-plugin induces sources are not found anymore

Posted by MAISONOBE Luc <lu...@c-s.fr>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
yes, really ugly :)

Posted by MAISONOBE Luc <lu...@c-s.fr>.
Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com> a écrit :

> maven-assembly-plugin would likely be less ugly. Have you tried that?

Great idea!

I tried that and it worked. I still had to do some tricky customisation:

  - use build-helper plugin to declare the assembly as an artifact
    of type source-jar
  - set up the assembly descriptor as follows:

<assembly>
   <id>sources</id>
   <formats>
     <format>jar</format>
   </formats>
   <includeBaseDirectory>false</includeBaseDirectory>
   <fileSets>
     <fileSet>
       <includes>
        <include>LICENSE.txt</include>
        <include>NOTICE.txt</include>
       </includes>
     </fileSet>
     <fileSet>
       <directory>src/main/java</directory>
       <outputDirectory>.</outputDirectory>
       <includes>
         <include>**/*.java</include>
       </includes>
       <useDefaultExcludes>true</useDefaultExcludes>
     </fileSet>
   </fileSets>
</assembly>

Thanks for the tip!