Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/12 02:07:18 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Samza from the Incubator

The Samza podling community has voted to graduate from the Incubator.

The vote passed with 17 +1s and no -1s or +/-0s.

Binding +1s x 10 : Jakob, Chinmay, Yan, Chris Riccomini, Sriram,
Zhijie, Martin, Roman, Garry, Chris Douglas
Non-binding +1s x 7: Claudio, TJ, Robert, Roger, Danny, Jon, Yi

Links to votes and discussions:
http://s.apache.org/samzaGradResult
http://s.apache.org/samzaGradDiscuss

Samza has been incubating for a bit more than a year.  In that time
the community has:
* Completed two Incubator-approved releases
* Opened nearly 500 JIRAs
* Added five new committers/PMC members.
* Expanded the PPMC from its original LinkedIn-only representation to
include contributors from Confluent, Hortonworks, ImproveData,
Microsoft and Oracle.

This thread is to vote on the graduation resolution Samza has
approved.  It will run for at least 96 hours (to Monday, 12/22 Noon
PST, the extra day to accommodate the weekend and holiday schedule).

[ ] +1 Graduate Apache Samza from the Incubator.
[ ] +0 Don't care.
[ ] -1 Don't graduate Apache Samza from the Incubator because ...

Here's my binding vote: +1.

-Jakob

----
WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to low-latency, distributed processing of streaming data.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Samza Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Samza Project be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software related to interactive
analysis of large-scale datasets; and be it further RESOLVED, that the
office of "Vice President, Apache Samza" be and hereby is created, the
person holding such office to serve at the direction of the Board of
Directors as the chair of the Apache Samza Project, and to have primary
responsibility for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache Samza Project; and be it further RESOLVED,
that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are appointed to
serve as the initial members of the Apache Samza Project:

* Chinmay Soman <cpsoman at apache dot org>
* Chris Riccomini <criccomini at apache dot org>
* Garry Turkington <garryturk at apache dot org>
* Jakob Homan <jghoman at apache dot org>
* Jay Kreps <jkreps at apache dot org>
* Martin Kleppman <martinkl at apache dot org>
* Sriram Subramanian <sriramsub at apache dot org>
* Yan Fang <yanfang at apache dot org>
* Zhijie Shen <zjshen at apache dot org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Chris Riccomini be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Samza, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Samza Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Samza
podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Samza podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are
hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Samza from the Incubator

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Can you update your podling status page to link to your podling name search

done.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Samza from the Incubator

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Can you update your podling status page to link to your podling name search
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-46

John

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Sebb.  Will update the text and start a new vote.  I don't think
we need to re-run it on the Podling list since no change in the
resolution is intended.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding, again) -C

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 12 December 2014 at 02:07, Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Samza podling community has voted to graduate from the Incubator.
>
> The vote passed with 17 +1s and no -1s or +/-0s.
>
> Binding +1s x 10 : Jakob, Chinmay, Yan, Chris Riccomini, Sriram,
> Zhijie, Martin, Roman, Garry, Chris Douglas
> Non-binding +1s x 7: Claudio, TJ, Robert, Roger, Danny, Jon, Yi
>
> Links to votes and discussions:
> http://s.apache.org/samzaGradResult
> http://s.apache.org/samzaGradDiscuss
>
> Samza has been incubating for a bit more than a year.  In that time
> the community has:
> * Completed two Incubator-approved releases
> * Opened nearly 500 JIRAs
> * Added five new committers/PMC members.
> * Expanded the PPMC from its original LinkedIn-only representation to
> include contributors from Confluent, Hortonworks, ImproveData,
> Microsoft and Oracle.

Just a little hick up, a community consist of people not companies....so I
am not impressed with the number of companies involved and I dont hope this
is typical for how the project works e.g. "microsoft says, but hortonworks
is against it", that would not be good.

I can see that the project have attracted people and thats good.

+1 (binding)

jan i.