Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by me...@mlc.com.au on 2005/05/03 01:11:05 UTC

Bounce replies - informs hacker/s?

Hi All,

I dont know if this is the list to post to with regard to what I've seen in
my James log this morning:

>From what I could decipher from the James log, James was replying to a
bounce request, and did so four times.
The email was from some alphanumeric-named yahoo address.

I wonder if this could be a hacker "pinging" my mail server.

Also, how do I disable bouncing like this in James (or should I be
disabling bounce at all?)

Thanks for your help.

Melroy

Melroy Drego
SHAPE/AdviserCentral Development Centre
11th Floor SW 19
105-153 Miller St,
North Sydney
NSW 2060,
Australia

Re: Bounce replies - informs hacker/s?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
On 03/05/05, melroy_drego@mlc.com.au <me...@mlc.com.au> wrote:

> I dont know if this is the list to post to with regard to what I've seen in
> my James log this morning:

Yes!

> From what I could decipher from the James log, James was replying to a
> bounce request, and did so four times.
> The email was from some alphanumeric-named yahoo address.
>
> I wonder if this could be a hacker "pinging" my mail server.

Yeah, but more probably a spammer looking for an open relay.

> Also, how do I disable bouncing like this in James (or should I be
> disabling bounce at all?)

AFAIK all the bouncing James does (for errors and spam) is explicit in
the config file.
James should be capable of "silent running", many of us think that
this is the net-friendliest way of dealing with the day-to-day crud
that no-one is normally interested in.

You may have to give us more detail of the bounce and James' reply if
you want us to tell you *why* James replied.

d.