Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Lihn, Steve" <ho...@merck.com> on 2002/04/29 20:56:48 UTC

schedule server possible?

Hi,
The Apache 2 Connection handler opens up the possibility of
using it for all kinds of protocol servers.

However, I have a wild question: Is it possible to use Apache mod_perl
for a schedule server? I.e., a server that is self existent.

For example, I can use Apache 2 for Telnet, FTP, SMTP, or even Telephony
Server.
But I will need a thread that processes the backend stuff, such as
maintaining
the database and message queue (more like a cron). Is this configuration
possible?

  Steve Lihn
  FIS Database Support, Merck & Co., Inc.
  Tel: (908) 423 - 4441

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.

Re: schedule server possible?

Posted by Rob Nagler <na...@bivio.biz>.
> But I will need a thread that processes the backend stuff, such as
> maintaining the database and message queue (more like a cron). Is
> this configuration possible?

You can do this now.  We rely on cron to kick off the job, but all
the business logic is in Apache/mod_perl.  The advantage of using cron
is that it has rich support for scheduling.

Rob

RE: schedule server possible?

Posted by "Garnet R. Chaney" <gc...@webmill.com>.
Steve,

How about another process on the same machine that periodically accesses

http://localhost/administration/schedule_tick.pl

- Garnet

Family Friendly Search - http://www.find11.com
BidSearch - See how much others are bidding on keywords -
http://bidsearch.find11.com