Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Steve Molloy <sm...@opentext.com> on 2014/02/11 20:24:27 UTC

Stats vs Analytics

Trying to make sense of all issues around this and not sure which way to go. Both Stats and Analytics component are missing some features I would need. Stats cannot limit or order facets for instance, and I'd like to see pivot support. On the other end Analytics doesn't support distribution at all, which is a must in my case.

So, I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether I should look at extending Stats or Analytics? Which way is the community going for future releases? (Would share any extension, but that would be useless if done on the wrong component).

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Stats vs Analytics

Posted by Trey Grainger <so...@gmail.com>.
Just to add more discussion to the mix, we're also building/using this at
CareerBuilder:
    "Percentiles for facets, pivot facets, and distributed pivot facets"

It is an extension to (distributed pivot) faceting that allows stats to be
collected within the faceting component. We built it with the following
needs:
1) Supports pivot faceting (stats at each level)
2) Supports distributed statistical operations

If you look at slide 41 of this presentation, you'll get a really good feel
for what this patch does:
http://www.slideshare.net/treygrainger/building-a-real-time-big-data-analytics-platform-with-solr

The primary focus initially was on calculating percentiles of numerical
values in a distributed way (using bucketing similar to range faceting),
but we are also in the process of adding distributed sum. Other
distributable calculations are possible, we just haven't needed them yet so
we haven't added them.

-Trey