Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl> on 2011/01/20 12:50:11 UTC

Is memleak in tomcat 7.0.5 also in tomcat 6.0.30?

Hi,

In this mail thread there is mention of a memory leak which is fixed in Tomcat 7.0.6.
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=129487211630075&w=2

Is it possible that this leak also exists in 6.0.30 (and not in 6.0.29)? We are seeing problems since 6.0.30 with the Nio connector. Just a quick question to rule this option out.

Ronald.

Re: Is memleak in tomcat 7.0.5 also in tomcat 6.0.30?

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.

Op donderdag, 20 januari 2011 17:03 schreef Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

> On 20/01/2011 15:45, Mark Thomas wrote:

> >> Not a chance. I introduced the bug in 7.0.x with some Servlet 3
> >> re-factoring. That re-factoring was not back-ported to 6.0.x.
> >>
> >> It is easy to confirm. With the leak, you would see one
> >> Http11NioProcessor object on the heap for every HTTP request made. An
> >> OOME soon followed.
> >
> > Given that there have been two reports of this, I may need to take that
> > back. Let me do some tests.
>
> /me swears loudly and eats words re the "Not a chance" comment.
>
> The re-factoring wasn't back-ported but a few lines of code were [1] as
> a follow up to a fix in a similar area. Those few lines introduced this bug.
>
> This makes the NIO connector in 6.0.30 pretty much useless.
>
> I'll get the process started to fix this on the dev list.
>
> Mark
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1033341

Thanks a lot for looking into this! I was just planning to put some time and effort in making a test case when I saw your last mail. I will visit a Tomcat conference some day and offer you a beer or two. :-)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.