Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Wolfgang Hoschek <wo...@mac.com> on 2012/10/23 00:08:15 UTC

Fwd: Avro mime type

Forwarding this question to dev list per Sean's suggestion.

Wolfgang.

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Avro mime type

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
Hi All!

For the curious, the process of getting a new IANA content type is covered
by RFC4288[1].

I like Wolfgang and AVRO-488's suggestion of application/avro+binary and
application/avro+json, but I'm concerned about the overhead of trying to
get Avro through an IETF RFC. (ref sec 3.1)

One alternative we could try would be to add a vendor tree option (ref sec
3.2) for avro as an apache project, eg

application/vnd.apache.avro+binary
application/vnd.apache.avro+json

I'm not entirely sure what kind of authority needs to be vested with
whoever shows up as a poc for the registration, presumably a PMC for the
project would be suitable?

It would probably be worth including in the type string if something is an
Object Container or a Protocol.

-Sean

[1]: http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4288.txt

--