Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Andoni OConchubhair <an...@ireland.com> on 2007/11/10 21:23:12 UTC

ApacheCon Atlanta: anyone?

Hi all,

I have been sent by my company to the ApacheCon event in Atlanta. I am
particularly intersted in the James project and in one or two of the
others. I was wondering if anyone else from this list is going. I'd be
very interested in meeting with some of you and finding out how you use
James.

I also have aspirations towards one day doing some Open Source
development, though I am told that despite email being my area in
professional life, I should start with a project that is only starting
out rather than a developed project like James.

Anyway, write back to to me directly, I'd be interested in meeting you
and will definitely be at Noel Bergman's presentation on Thursday next
at 3pm.

Andoni.

PS: I have set Followup-To: to the User's list as though it were a
newsgroup. Not sure if the software will respect that!

Re: ApacheCon Atlanta: anyone?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
On 10/11/2007, Andoni OConchubhair <an...@ireland.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone else from this list is going. I'd be
> very interested in meeting with some of you and finding out how you use
> James.

Noel will be there, sadly I've had to pull out this year. I'm not sure
who else might be going.

> I also have aspirations towards one day doing some Open Source
> development, though I am told that despite email being my area in
> professional life, I should start with a project that is only starting
> out rather than a developed project like James.

I completely disagree, working on an established and mature project
can teach you a lot about how open source projects work, and there
will be people with experience there to help you when you get stuck.

d.

Re: ApacheCon Atlanta: anyone?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 10, 2007 8:23 PM, Andoni OConchubhair <an...@ireland.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

hi andoni

> I also have aspirations towards one day doing some Open Source
> development, though I am told that despite email being my area in
> professional life, I should start with a project that is only starting
> out rather than a developed project like James.

(i'm not sure that i agree with that general advice - IMO development
model and activity are crucial)

apache uses open development. project should be open to new ideas and
developers. business is conducted in public on mailing lists so it's
relatively easy to browse the archives and see how a project works in
practice.  (see http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html and
browse http://www.apache.org/dev/)

parts of JAMES are mature but JAMES is a long way from being finished.
JAMES trunk is definitely under active development. we've moved
towards a more modular system to allow more experimental code to be
developed on the trunk. there has been a noticeable upturn in activity
and interest over the last few months. IMHO this is a great time to
start helping to develop JAMES.

> PS: I have set Followup-To: to the User's list as though it were a
> newsgroup. Not sure if the software will respect that!

:-)

if you're interested in development, make sure you subscribe to the
development list. once you're on list, don't stand on ceremony. feel
free to jump in whenever you think you can make a contribution to a
debate whether with code or design. the JAMES development team is
global so UML or a code outline is often better than prose when
discussing a design (but this is often true in any case).

- robert