Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> on 2004/02/12 03:39:53 UTC

Re: what is the woody form binding encoding?

Sending a mail twice is worse than sending it in HTML format ;-)
I answer on the HTML mail as in the other mail there seem to be problem
with line endings.

I don't know what exactly you have configured, but the default encoding
used in Cocoon for serialization should be UTF-8 (have a look on the
serializer declarations in the components section, UTF-8 is default, if
nothing is specified). But the default for the form-encoding is set in
web.xml, if not set it's ISO-8859-1, but maybe this depends also on your
servlet container or JVM. The problem is a mismatch between the both.
Therefore a fix was added before release Cocoon 2.1.3, that set's the
default serializer encoding (if nothing is specified) to the default
form-encoding.

Of course it's difficult to say what exactly is wrong with your setup as
many issues might play a role. But UTF-8 everywhere should work also
with Chinese characters. What encoding has the form on the browser? And
is this recognized correctly by the browser? Are you sure the resulting
XML file is wrong and it's not maybe only a viewing problem when the
editor can't handle the encoding?

Joerg