Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/17 18:16:44 UTC

[jr3] One workspace to rule them all

Hi,

This is somewhat related to the unified persistence and microkernel
ideas. Instead of keeping the different workspaces and the version
storage in separate storage locations it might be useful for a
repository to have just a single underlying content hierarchy whose
subtrees are seen as separate workspaces by JCR sessions. This would
make many cross-workspace operations easier to implement and would
give us transactional versioning as an added bonus.

The most obvious trouble with this approach is that the node UUIDs
would no longer be unique within such a super-workspace. I'm not sure
how to best solve that problem, apart from switching to some
alternative internal node identifiers. Any ideas?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [jr3] One workspace to rule them all

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is somewhat related to the unified persistence and microkernel
> ideas. Instead of keeping the different workspaces and the version
> storage in separate storage locations it might be useful for a
> repository to have just a single underlying content hierarchy whose
> subtrees are seen as separate workspaces by JCR sessions. This would
> make many cross-workspace operations easier to implement and would
> give us transactional versioning as an added bonus.

+1

cheers
stefan

Posted by Guo Du <mr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com> wrote:
> Ack. Workspaces can be seen as the top level nodes in a supertree.
Looks more like soft branch link in source control system. Then
workspace concept may not need any more if we can manage soft link
efficiently.

-Guo

Re: [jr3] One workspace to rule them all

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 18:16, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is somewhat related to the unified persistence and microkernel
> ideas. Instead of keeping the different workspaces and the version
> storage in separate storage locations it might be useful for a
> repository to have just a single underlying content hierarchy whose
> subtrees are seen as separate workspaces by JCR sessions. This would
> make many cross-workspace operations easier to implement and would
> give us transactional versioning as an added bonus.

Ack. Workspaces can be seen as the top level nodes in a supertree.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

Re: [jr3] One workspace to rule them all

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

> The most obvious trouble with this approach is that the node UUIDs
> would no longer be unique within such a super-workspace. I'm not sure
> how to best solve that problem, apart from switching to some
> alternative internal node identifiers. Any ideas?

Use a number (variable size when stored to disk; long in memory) as
the unique node identifier. Anyway we need a way to identify all nodes
for indexing (property/value index). This number would not necessarily
be accessible from the public API however.

I would still keep the UUID for backward compatibility, but only for
referenceable nodes. It would be stored as a (hidden) property.

Regards,
Thomas